News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 501F

Started by Doug Rose, August 01, 2018, 09:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

What was this used for? I see a coil and a condenser but no gongs??

I don't think it was ever used. I have had it for years. Dated III 52...Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....   Most likely a piece of railroad equipment.     I'll see if I can find something on it.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  .....   Railway subset.    Attached is a "jpeg" of page "111" out of Western Electric's 1949 Railway catalog.      If Northern made it, it's most likely a Western patented device.     The picture is of a 501E set, but the 501F is noted to the right of that.    Double click to enlarge.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff...my set has no button and that is what is missing on the inside. There is no hole for a button, just a hole for a cord on the bottom. Strange....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....  According to the description, the 501E has the button, and the 501F doesn't appear to have been equipped with the button, but it is equipped with a foot switch.      I would assume back in that time period, the foot switch would be connected through that hole with a cloth or rubber covered cord, assuming of course that the 501F subset would be wall mounted and the foot switch on the floor.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff...many thanks for all your hard work researching this.....I really appreciate it! This history makes it kind of cool...Doug
Kidphone