News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Good Price Range for a Bakelite 302?

Started by RDR89, September 27, 2014, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDR89

I do not want to over pay and shoot myself in the foot with purchasing a 302.  I know condition matters very much.
  Say from good condition to poor condition what would be the range between the two?  I am talking about the black ones not the more expensive and collectible color ones.

Thank you!

Brian

tallguy58

I try not to pay more than $30.00.

That would be for a dirty one that needs the cords replaced but overall solid with no cracks. Make sure you bring a screw driver when shopping around. You have to open them up to see if the innards are OK.

Cheers........Bill

Doug Rose

A bakelite 302 is worth a fortune as only a few was made. My guess is you mean a thermoplastic 302. It depends on of you want a working one or one to repair and have good refurbable parts. Welcome to the Forum..Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

thanks to John...Teleplay...this is a Bakelite 302. It sold for $2750...a small fortune!!..Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10335.msg109754#msg109754
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

I bought a nice 302 today at a flea market.  Like I need another..........it's black plastic, #5 dial, missing dial card retainer ring....brown cloth cords are like new still connected to the baseboard connecting block.  The Bakelite F1 handset is in very nice, shiny condition.  I paid $20 for it.  They're out there.  By the way, no corner cracks.

~Dennis

Sargeguy

Look in the 1940-1969 section and sort by "closest first" so you can save on shipping.  I would think that $20-30 is in line for a fixer-upper.  Just make sure that there are no corner cracks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenton K

Its often overlooked, but keep in mind cords, dial plate, number retaining ring, paint condition, etc. Small things add up.

RDR89

Thank you and yes Thermoplastic I misspoke.  I bought a 1955 for $23 plus shipping so not too bad.  I am trying to figure out how to  remove the ringer as it has a strong aroma that needs to get gone.

unbeldi

A good price range is one that you can afford and won't cause buyer's remorse.

HarrySmith

Quote from: RDR89 on October 02, 2014, 04:14:49 PM
  Thank you and yes Thermoplastic I misspoke.  I bought a 1955 for $23 plus shipping so not too bad.  I am trying to figure out how to  remove the ringer as it has a strong aroma that needs to get gone.
You bought a 1955 302?? Doubtful as 500's were in use before that. We could help with ringer better if we had a picture or two. We love pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry...I have a Northern 302 dated 6/55 throughout on eBay Sunday...Doug
Kidphone

RDR89

I may be looking at the wrong writing on the base.  I read 11 55 as Nov 1955. 

unbeldi

Northern Electric made the 302 for several years longer than WEco.  It seems the WECo factory lines were stopped in 1954, however a few types like the 307 were apparently still made after that.

Your set is definitely of Norther Electric vintage.  The style of dating and the patent stamps are one indication.

HarrySmith

Doug, you know those Canadians are always behind the times!
Brian, yours in a Northern also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDR89

Ah Ha!  I am fine with having a Northern eh.