News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 35 on ebaY

Started by AE_Collector, December 19, 2010, 09:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Is anyone looking for an AE 35 wall phone? There is currently one on ebaY mis-identified as an AE 50 which is an easy mistake to make. The first clue is the type 38 handset rather than it having a type 41 handset.

The proof is in the view of the side...no ringer vents! The cradle area has a slightly different angle to it than the normal AE 50 as well.  Something to do with the older style handset I guess.

The starting price is $45 / $15 shipping. It is NOT mine,  I have 2 already so go for it. These don't show up on ebaY very often. I'm going to recommend a replacement handset cord though....

No real need to date these, they only made them for about 5 years from 1934/35 to 1939/40 when it was upgraded to the AE 50. And yes this is the companion wall phone to the AE 34 just as the AE 50 is the wall phone version of the AE 40 desk phone.

Terry

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automatic-Electric-Model-50-Jukebox-Wall-Phone-/130467216293
( dead link 02-18-22 )

NorthernMan

Guess i can't snipe it now  ... i thought no one would notice its a 35 . Oh well always wanted one. Now i know who the helper is on Ebay. >:(

JorgeAmely

Terry:

In my list. It will go well next to my AE 34.
Jorge

NorthernMan

Jorge,  i will  only bid $200 on it so that you can get it. ;D

AE_Collector

So was I out of line posting this here?  I guess posting it can go both ways, ruin it for one and/or help out another. Had it been down to the last couple of days I probably wouldn't have mentioned it but the auction appeared to have just been put up today.

Posting about it here was somewhat to take advantage of the opportunity to point out the differences between a 35 and a 50.

Terry

NorthernMan

Terry, you were not out of line  .... i am sure most of the knowledgeble people posting here also noticed it was a 35 . Items on Ebay usually sell for the going price anyways so who cares. It is far and few between to get any real deals on Ebay any more. This discussion has probaly raised the price by $50 bucks already.

It does bring up the point of how many people read these posts, im guessing 400-500 collectors.

Another interesting thing is i have googled telephony subjects in the past and they direct me right back to Classic Rotary Phones ..... so this site has become a huge repository of information to nonmembers ready to bid on Ebay auctions.

Greg G.

I'm very tempted, especially considering the shipping is reasonable, but... I'm very paranoid about poor packing and the phone arriving in pieces, one of the biggest reasons (other than costly shipping charges) I don't buy phones mail-order.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I expect this phone to go for several hundred $, despite the mis-identification, because of the excellent, shiny condition of the bakelite.  I sure wouldn't mind having it myself, though.

Larry

Dennis Markham

It is a nice phone and I would also like to have it in my collection.  I think it will do well also....unless those interested spent all their money during holiday shopping. :)

AE_Collector

With the amount of interest, maybe I should have waited until the auction had ended before posting it here. Sorry to anyone that I have messed up.

I neglected to point out the old original number card on it as well. The oldest style cards like this one had a very small area to write in the number. Over the years this area grew in size.

Also, the 35 isn't quite as thick as a 50. For some reason they decided that more room was needed inside the case when they redesigned it to the 50.

Terry

NorthernMan

It's back .... maybe i should wait for Terry to put the first bid on .......  looks like Mr. helpful was working his magic with the new price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Automatic-Electric-Model-35-Telephone-Very-Rare-/130471064250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60ae72ba

It sold for $332.67.  Is that a record for this type of phone?

NorthernMan

Has anybody noticed in the past few days their has been 2 misidentified AE35s sold on Ebay . One went for $125 and the other which had a brass or gold dial and later handset with brass rings was $135.

I noticed know on this board ratted them out . :) ;) :) ;) :) ;) :D ;D

Phoniac

Quote from: NorthernMan on January 04, 2011, 12:28:29 AM
It's back .... maybe i should wait for Terry to put the first bid on .......  looks like Mr. helpful was working his magic with the new price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Automatic-Electric-Model-35-Telephone-Very-Rare-/130471064250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60ae72ba

It sold for $332.67.  Is that a record for this type of phone?

NM, I believe that's a different auction. The one AE pointed out went for a screaming $45. Check the link he posted. These obviously can go either way High and Low. I have the AE 40 and 50 and would like a 34 and 35 but first things first because I have my sights on something else at the time.

Wallphone

The AE 35 that sold real low was a Buy it Now. Mr. Helpful didn't have time to contact the seller. Not looking at the cover you can tell an  AE 35 because the ringer is under the hook-switch instead of under the dial, and the condensers are on the sides.

NorthernMan

Phoniac .... the $45 one had the auction ended early (thats why it shows no bids)and that same phone soon was relisted with the proper identifIcation of AE35 at a starting price of $200 and ended over $300.