"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1957 Stromberg Carlson Hands Free Phone

Started by ....., July 24, 2017, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Duffy on July 30, 2017, 10:27:14 AM
Before pictures were taken inside the garage under fluorescent lights. After pictures were outside in bright sun light.

The phone had a build up of something on it, it was very dirty. Nicotine build up?????
Yes, quite possible and even most likely.   These plastics can discolor slightly yellowish though.  When properly restored the gray is purely neutral and is really quite beautiful when polished to a nice sheen.

I won this eBay auction for the mic that I need for the Hands Free Phone.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/322610016853

I also bought a gray handset cord to replace the existing cracked one. It's not exact match, but should work OK.

I got the replacement handset cord in the mail Friday and put it on the phone. I had a newer gray line cord that I put on. I hooked everything up and it works. Now when the replacement mic comes, it will be complete.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 06, 2017, 09:10:43 PM
I got the replacement handset cord in the mail Friday and put it on the phone. I had a newer gray line cord that I put on. I hooked everything up and it works. Now when the replacement mic comes, it will be complete.
Great!  Looks very good.  But I seem to have missed something.  How did it get from the light gray color shown in the "after" photos back to Oxford Gray?

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 06, 2017, 09:21:08 PM
Great!  Looks very good.  But I seem to have missed something.  How did it get from the light gray color shown in the "after" photos back to Oxford Gray?

Confused me also when I first saw the before and after images but then Duffy, in one of his following replies above, dsif the dark grey was taken under florescent light and the light gray in sun light. So, only Duffy can tell us what color it really is in natural, indoor light.

The last pictures above were taken yesterday evening around 6:00pm just inside the garage door with natural light coming in and fluorescent lights above. You can see the reflection for the natural light on the sides and the fluorescent lights on the top.
These pictures above represent the true colour of the phone.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on August 06, 2017, 09:10:43 PM

Except for the number card & holder. Very hard to find!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2017, 08:03:03 AM
Except for the number card & holder. Very hard to find!

The holder is there, it's yellowed a bit. Now I just need the number card. Any copies out there that I could print off?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 07, 2017, 08:22:40 AM
The holder is there, it's yellowed a bit. Now I just need the number card. Any copies out there that I could print off?
http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on August 07, 2017, 08:22:40 AM

Cool. I could not see it in the pictures. It is in very good shape, most are yellowed very badly & warped. Lots of cards to choose from & print out. take your pick!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 07, 2017, 08:26:00 AM
http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2017, 09:03:32 AM
Cool. I could not see it in the pictures. It is in very good shape, most are yellowed very badly & warped. Lots of cards to choose from & print out. take your pick!

I have decided on this one as it matches the real deal.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on August 07, 2017, 09:15:58 AM
I have decided on this one as it matches the real deal.

Good choice, you can find the right font and add your number to finsh it off properly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 07, 2017, 09:58:10 AM
Good choice, you can find the right font and add your number to finsh it off properly.

I'm thinking of this. I made it to match the label on the front. I think the font is close.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on August 07, 2017, 10:19:16 AM
I'm thinking of this. I made it to match the label on the front. I think the font is close.
Yeah, that will work! Nice!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Duffy on August 07, 2017, 10:19:16 AM
I'd include the model #.  It's not a common phone so few who see it and are interested are likely to know it.