"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Confessions of a phone addict: Kenton k's collection gallery

Started by Kenton K, September 29, 2014, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on August 14, 2016, 11:15:00 AM
Poplar, it's hard to see, especially in the photo, but there is a red 5H marking between the governor and pulse pawl. The 1937 

Thanks. I forgot that on 4H dials and early (pre-1939?) 5H dials, the code no. is on the right, and the date is on the left.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

I recently saw a Kellogg turquoise phone and had to have it. I don't see this type of ridiculous color often. I like it a lot better than the neon green and bright orange. It is made from a translucent soft plastic. Too bad its faded. Any tips for this color? Should I use peroxide or bleach?

-Ken

Kenton K

I just got a very nice 1958 soft plastic yellow 500D. I believe the phone is local as well, although I'm not sure if the number card is. I bought it about 15 miles away. This sure is a hard to find 'common' color.  ;D

The original box is neat too. It has 1958 colors on it and a two tone set. Western Electric was sure was good at recycling; they even recycled boxes! The box housed not one, but two other phones! Before the 500 DR-Yellow, it had a 501DR-3, and a 304 CR-3! Neat!

-Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice find, Ken!

Yellow is definitely a surprisingly hard color to find, plus yours has the box! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Kenton K

Hi y'all!

Summer vacation just started so I've been reunited with my collection and wanted to update the forum on my collection. I did some clean-up and incorporated some of my more recent additions. Pretty much all my additions these days are soft plastic 500 sets. I really am working to finishing the set.

I got a nice 1959 aqua blue 500, which replaced a ratty set I had.

I got a great mahogany brown 500 from the northern California show all the way back in November. It was missing cords, and I managed to source an original brown WE handset cord. I really like the brown, its so subtle and warm.

I also acquired a Mediterranean Blue 500 set. I had a really badly damaged two tone set, and its nice to get a complete one. Small corner crack, but nothing I can't live with.

Lastly, I finally purchased a soft plastic 1958 light beige 500. I had previously bought what turned out to be a hard plastic 1959 hard plastic set, so its nice to have the real deal.

All in all, its great to finally have these colors. I wanna thank  Vern, Christian, and Paul for helping me get some these phones+parts. Thank you so much! I've spent maybe 7 years on my 500 collection so far, and I'm not done yet! I'm still looking for white and oxford gray; (ps. I'm always looking for leads!). Maybe it'll take 7 more years?!  ::)

-Kenton

RotarDad

Welcome back, Kenton!  Those 500s look great!!  The new additions are nice, but I really like that yellow one too... ;)  Yellow was more common by the 60s, but very hard to find a nice 50s version....
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

The new additions look great, Ken!

Wow, you've been at this for 7 years?!? I've only been collecting for less than 4! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford