News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two 202s Painted Blue

Started by Doug Rose, October 04, 2014, 09:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got these two 202s on eBay on the cheap. I want to remove the blue and hopefully find great paint with no corrosion underneath. What is the best way to remove it? Oven Cleaner? Bases were worth the price of the auction...Any advice is greatly appreciated....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/mzhdx7d
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I would try a product that I think Brinybay used for one of his phones, it removed the spray plaint but noe the baked on paint underneath.

Also, it looks one of the reciever caps is green underneath ???
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Take 2...anyone have any ideas on how to remove the blue paint....Doug
Kidphone

wds

When I want to save the original paint underneath, I always use Dad's Easy Spray Paint Remover, from Zettlers Hardware (Ace?).  I spray the stuff on lightly, then immediately remove the old paint with fine steel wool.  If the original paint is in good shape, it won't come off unless you leave the paint stripper on too long.  I'm sure other brands of paint stripper will give the same results.  As soon as I have the old paint off I rinse the phone off in water to make sure all the stripper is off.  Some of my best looking candlesticks were painted some awful color, and now looks like new with the original paint. 

Here's one example

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4715.msg60126#msg60126
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 05, 2014, 03:47:29 PM
Take 2...anyone have any ideas on how to remove the blue paint....Doug
Now I rember what that product was called!

It was Citristrip. It removed the spray paint but left the factory paint untouched. I think you can buy it from Home Depot by the gallon.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

So, do you have any info about what secrets those 202s were hiding  ???
Christian Petterson

Greg G.

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 04, 2014, 10:14:48 AM
I would try a product that I think Brinybay used for one of his phones, it removed the spray plaint but noe the baked on paint underneath.

Also, it looks one of the reciever caps is green underneath ???

I don't think that was me.  I can only remember one or two times stripping paint from a phone, and it was to remove what was left of the original paint that was in bad shape so I could repaint it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

A friend of mine claims that brake fluid does the job removing most kinds of spray paint.
I have never tried.

dsk

Doug Rose

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 16, 2014, 08:43:41 PM
So, do you have any info about what secrets those 202s were hiding  ???
Christian...I have not had the time to even look at these yet, hopefully soon. It was yard sales and yard work today....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is what they looked like on the inside. Oven cleaner didn't budge the paint. I will try stripper next. The two base covers were perfect and worth the price of the auction....Pats Broncos in 30 minutes....Go  PATS
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

What about the handset caps? One of the receiver caps looked green underneath the paint in the ebay pictures. It even looks to be seamless!
Christian Petterson

Doug Rose

all caps are seamed and black, I did have old 38 elements in one and 39 and 40 in the other....I will strip them and go from there...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is the first 202 stripped of the paint. three layers, blue ...green....yellow over the original black. This came out amazing! Truly shines with just some brasso. This set is much heavier than the other, dated IV 36. The other is older dated IV32. I was going to have it painted, now I am not so sure. Not a spec of corrosion. Color is like a shiny pewter....Doug
Kidphone

Mr. Bones

Doug,

That does, indeed, look amazing! I really like the pewter color, and would leave at least one just like that. 8)

What did you end up using to strip the old paint? Technique, etc.? Always good to have new / fresh perspectives in my toolbox. ;)

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Last Saturday I put citistrip on three metals phones that I wanted the paint off. I like citristrip as it is gentel on my hands, but not the best stripper. I looked at them today and the paint hadn't bubbled or listed at all. I put steel wool to it and it really came right off. Not alot of elbow grease, I was amazed at the layers and how easily it came of.  I loved the color and shine of the metal.

The other 202 came down to original black, so I applied a second coat today. I had a metal north the stripped really well. Another day working on the phones!!

I did have my last weekend of leaves this morning. Below freezing. I had bid assed mittens as the lawnmower handle was so cold! Fashion statement. Lawnmower sucked all the leaves up and cut the grass which is still growing. Still green as well...that won't last but a few more weeks!...Doug
Kidphone