News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'Nuther Pet Peeve WE 331B Portable Telephone

Started by DavePEI, July 10, 2012, 05:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldphon

I hope the best for Steve and his family, and will keep them in my prayers.  I didn't see this until just now.

Jeremy

DavePEI

They didn't get my brother out of his coma on Tuesday - that stretched on until Today.

Good news in the afternoon today.

About 3 pm Friday, I received the news my brother has finally been brought out of the induced coma. He is alert, and responding, and recognizing everyone he knows. He still has the breathing tube, but it is scheduled to be removed tomorrow. Once it is gone, he should be able to talk.

There may still be some mental impairment but nothing has been noticed so far. They began his first physio just about the time I was notified. His wife and 11 year old daughter are with him still - my sister and my Dr. niece were there, but have now gone home.

Hooray! Its not over, but it is a significant milestone in his treatment and recovery.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Thats Great!!!!
I am very happy for you and your family. Here's hoping for a full & speedy recovery!
Thanks for sharing.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Good to hear your brother's awake and recognising people easily, that's a good sign that he's on the road to recovery for sure... :)

AE_Collector

Yes fantastic news Dave! It is certainly nice to occasionally hear news like this where things look as though they are going to turn out better than anyone thought possible.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: liteamorn on July 21, 2012, 09:10:54 AM
Great news Dave!!

And the news keeps getting better. Today, they removed the tube and he is speaking. Some areas of memory missing and he has to search for words, but that is to be expected, and some of that may be medication still in his system. He is very weak from the coma, and is getting physio to bring his strength back, and will eventually have other therapies to bring back the missing words and memories. He was very fortunate.

Still talking a lot of weeks of therapy, but he is indeed back!

Now, I have to get things back to normal here  as there are three visits to the museum scheduled so far. May be more by the time the week comes around.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Sounds like your brother is doing well then, mine's okay at the moment, his recovery has plateaued for now, but he's enjoying some peace and quiet somewhere down in Norfolk... :)

The medication they use to keep people in artificial comas often causes temporary memory loss, so, I'm sure once it's fully cleared out of his system that he'll be right as rain before long, he'll just have to be careful with walking up the stairs as that becomes difficult after heart attacks, but gradually the heart strengthens up again to allow it, but it takes time, so, he needs to rest for a while yet... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 21, 2012, 09:22:25 PM
Sounds like your brother is doing well then, mine's okay at the moment, his recovery has plateaued for now, but he's enjoying some peace and quiet somewhere down in Norfolk... :)
I am so glad to hear this. I was thinking about your brother when I posted the message, and wondering how he was doing.

I don't know yet, of course how much Steve will get back, but the last report on him, when his wife went home for the night, he was sitting up in bed, with a smile on his face, and watching the evening news :-)

What a difference a week makes!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Yep, the human body has an amazing capacity for recovery, it takes on different forms in some people, but wither way, it is amazing how quickly some can recover from knocking on death's door to being able to walk out of a hospital on their own two feet without assistance... :)

DavePEI

I heard from Cat (Catriona, Steve's wife - I want to make this clear, as last time I posted her name a few challenged me on it, wondering how a cat could have all this information:-) , last night, with a really encouraging report about my bother. You have all seen the reports since his cardiac arrest and long time without oxygen to his brain. He is reportedly doing extremely well, and hopefully will get his implant today, and he is hoping he will be allowed to go home later this week.

I want to thank the Ottawa Heart Institute for the excellent care he has received, and the EMT's for the care they gave him the day of the arrest. No doubt without them, his prognosis wouldn't have been so good.

My other brother (semi-jokingly), said that Steve had better not go home expecting to play with his favorite toy, his John Deere tractor (yes, he and I share a love for John Deere tractors!). Hopefully he will continue his recovery at home, and that this will be the only heart incident he will have. It is absolutely thrilling that after such a long period of arrest, he could walk away with very few side effects.

So, it was a long story, but it looks as though it will have had a very happy ending!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Sounds like a good ending, heart attacks are usually not easy to recover from fully, so he really needs to take it easy for some time, as parts of the heart dies off, leaving it weaker, so no lifting JD engines out of lawn tractors for him!!! :D

My brother's not getting on so well, he's recovered well, but he's not the same and is struggling to look after himself, especially since his ex screwed him out of his money (yet again!!!) leaving him with nothing for a couple of weeks, so he's arranging for help where he lives, and hopefully will accept that it is what he needs...  :-\

He's visiting here come Saturday, I don't know how long for though as the mother hasn't told me, I just have to make sure I keep my stash of food hidden, cos at the moment he's eating more than an elephant, and knowing what he's like will probably empty the fridge and freezer in no time.... :o

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 06, 2012, 12:19:07 PM
Sounds like a good ending, heart attacks are usually not easy to recover from fully, so he really needs to take it easy for some time, as parts of the heart dies off, leaving it weaker, so no lifting JD engines out of lawn tractors for him!!! :D

I sure hope he doesn't try lifting this one out - it is a 4 wheel drive John Deere farm tractor with loader - somewhere around 400 HP. As a hobby he and his wife raise horses, and they need the tractor to haul hay, etc.

I am sorry to hear about your brother. Hopefully he will return to the way he was before. Steve is very lucky - they really expected major deficits as a result of the lack of oxygen to his brain, and so far nothing has shown up. Now, he can't wait to get out of the hospital!

Hope all goes well with your brother.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I just thought I would give everyone an update on my brother, Steve, one year out.

Steve and his family visited here this fall. His wife, Cat drove down, and they dropped Steve off for a couple of hours, and came back later.

Steve is doing great. He is back to work at NRC one day a week on ease-back, and is very close to normal, showing few signs of what happened a year ago. He has an implanted defibrillator to prevent its happening again. He seems to have a bit of weakness on one side, but is talking normally and is just as bright as ever. He tells me it took a long while before he started feeling normal.

He tells me he is one of the only people he knows who can celebrate the anniversary of his own death :)

Needless to say, it was wonderful to see him!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

That's great news, Dave! Glad your brother is recovering so well :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"