News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

'49 302 metal base?

Started by TelePlay, September 02, 2012, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Technical question on a current ebay auction.

I didn't think 302s came with metal shells after the war. Am I wrong? This sad '49er, if it has a painted metal shell, seems to be missing part of it along the front bottom edge. My question is, is it possible for this to happen to a metal shell by dropping the 302, or something similar, or is this just an abused plastic case? Was the metal that brittle?

Also, based on the prices seen on ebay today, my collection is now worth at least a million bucks. ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130756112991

Don't think it's going to sell at that price.

poplar1

Looking at the sloppy wiring and glue on this 306 I would guess the housing is not original to the base. AFAIK WE did make only plastic housings in 1942-1945 but in 1946 they made both plastic and metal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

302s had plastic housings but many post-war 304s, 306s etc came with metal housings, at least until 1950.  These usually appear on phones from independent TELCOs, as far as I remember
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Sargeguy, do you have photos? Latest I saw was 1947 for a metal housing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Can a metal shell be damaged like that from normal use, or even dropping? Is the metal brittle?

LarryInMichigan

That damage looks like it is from corrosion.

Larry

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 02, 2012, 10:59:25 PM
That damage looks like it is from corrosion.

Larry

Thanks, Larry.  :)

And, a very nice soft plastic aqua blue. There is another on eBay but my wife put a stop to new phones, period, until after I process everything I have to date (I lost count but it's somewhere between 65 and 100  :-\)

paul-f

What?  You have to process them, too? 

I got around that one for a while by defining "process" as hiding them in boxes or piling them in the corner of the basement.

It did catch up with me a few years later after my side of the garage was packed with boxes from floor to ceiling.  Then I had to do something more creative.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Hmm, this phone looks familiar.  I think it's been on e-bay before, don't recall when, and they still wanted a kings ransom for it.  Do you ever wonder if the folks who just keep relisting an overpriced beat up phone that never sells figure out that maybe, just maybe, they are asking too much for it and that's why no bidders?

paul-f

Yes, and I am equally amazed occasionally when one of them actually sells.

It certainly encourages others to give it a try.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line