and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Socotel S63 - Parlez vous Francais?

Started by gpo706, December 04, 2009, 08:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Any clues as to what this is?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280428698440

It has a watch or "mother-in-law" receiver on it, a 4 pin plug.

Not the prettiest colour scheme but the extra reciever attacted me, cant find much on French plastic era phones online so far.

I reckon it'll be a doddle to wire up, but I always think that like the rest of us, eh?

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Last link, computer says "non".

Un nouvelle link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280428698440&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
( dead link 07-04-21 )

gpo706

Sacre Blue, its a 3 (trois) pin plug, even easier then oui? (petetre non).

bingster

Pretty phone.  Just for giggles, I went to ebay.fr a couple months ago to check out the French phones.  They had some very nice looking sets, and I wouldn't mind having a couple.  This one went cheap.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Never seen one before.  It certainly was influenced by the AE 80 and GPO 706.  (assuming it came later)

gpo706

Aye, was cheap. The rewire will no doubt be expensive LOL.

As will the extension to the house for all this junk!

bingster

Sneaky devil.  Didn't realize you had bought it.  Good thing we liked it!
= DARRIN =

dsk

The only thing you need is this: http://tinyurl.com/yzeeqbe ( dead link 07-04-21 )
then you can speak french  ;D

dsk

gpo706

dsk, you are a star, thanks so much for the link.

gpo706

Stumbled on this through a series of links from another thread, the blue looks nice.
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/foreztel/TELEPHONE/1963%202000/index.htm

Computer translation:

"The position most widely produced remains the S63. It takes its name from the abbreviation N. CO. TEL (Society of Manufacturers of Telephone) and his date of conception, 1963. This is a post modern manufacturing: chassis and injected plastic shell, PCB receiving all electronic components, integrated ringer with adjustable volume. The first version is made of gray. It is subsequently declined in blue, brown, red and white. He was deputy from 1981 keyboard to decimal numbers, then voice frequency when used on early electronic exchanges. It has the latest technical innovations: automatic regulation of line current, anti-surge for the earpiece can connect multiple positions in parallel. It is also with the S63 that is the jack."

gpo706

Just came late post today, its a lovely example, no nicks/cracks, nice sheen, dial is incredibly quiet compared to US/UK machines.

Original dial lable (blank), the watch reciever hangs on a U shaped cup which clips to the underside of the case, and seems to be no cut off switch for it, unlike GPO versions.

Its heavier than a GPO 706, possibly because the casing looks thicker plastic.

One thing you will find interesting is that the handset has a grey (GREY!) cord, that doesn't even match the colours, like some WE models, also the handset caps look very, very similar to WE 500 caps ( who knows might be same?)

Very pleased with looks and the build quality, now just need to wire it up...

gpo706

The grey handset cord has 3 "distortions" on it, on closer inspection these are slight terars in the outer sheathing, any ideas how to mend?

Just small binding tapes or superglue, because I haven't a clue where I would find a replacement, French is pretty basic.

Apart from that its fairly perfecto.

The dial comes off with one huge crossed screw mounted outside, then the case attaches with your usual two lugs at the front and two screws on the base near the back which go into recessed metal enclosures moulded into the body, a standard flat tipped screwdriver seems to do everything on it.

One of the screws had a protective lable on it warning of France Telecom PTT or whatever, break the seal etc, but it was already broken, so obviously previous owner had broken the law and been nosey.

Inside its amazingly basic, 4 cords in, 4 cords out and 2 cords for the watch receiver.

However the dial is a 4 cord/terminal, whereas GPO have 5 cords to the PCB, so dont know if I can get this to dial out on BT line.

Nice circuit diagram still on the inside of the case, absolutely perfect condition.

The case is 3mm thick, hence the weight, the handset caps are like WE 500 design but slightly larger.

Gave it a quick disenfectant wipe over and it looks very nice shiny, test-wise have connected to my 704 and  BT engineers phone and threw 48V into it, and get a clear ring, and voice from it to the set, tried it on a Bt line and got a very faint dial tone Ok but dial didn't work, more to be investigated.

Lastly, very clever design the bells have flanges on them which extend under the bottom housing, you simply push from one side to the other on either bell to adjust the ringing volume, never seen such a simple solution.

I might go for a blue one from La Belle France for a body swap if I get one would be a very handsome machine indeed.

dsk

You may use it!   :)
"We" have to take a look at the ringer circuit, the dial is OK as it is.
Do you have any pictures from inside, labels, diagrams, information about capacitors and ringer coil(s)?

dsk

gpo706

d_s_k - sorry don't have a working camera, even my brother's is missing the vital lead, if I get it up and running, will swamp the board with pictures.

Just for giggles have bid an exact same model en blue on La E-bay France, for 1 Euro, so will see how this pans out.

Thanks again for the link.

S.

gpo706

La "belle blue" went for 16 Euros, I went as far as 10, next time though, these are really nice solid machines.