Previous topic - Next topic

BruceP

Got this off craigslist today.

1317 CN

WESTERN ELECTRIC CO. INC.
MODIFIED PER B.S.R.S 361.377
DWG. MBR BS59532
DATE 7-75

Any idea as to when the original phone was made, and/or approximate value?
The wood is just gorgeous. Will look great next to my 555.

poplar1

Western Electric 1317 Type Telephone Dates:

1907 Cathedral Top, Picture Frame Front, Long Transmitter Arm ["Queen Bee"]
1909 Plain Top, Picture Frame Front, Long Transmitter Arm
1911 Plain Front, Long Transmitter Arm
1916 Short Transmitter Arm
1938 Short Transmitter Arm and Bulldog Transmitter

These are the dates from bobsoldphones that I posted in January.

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/WE317/WE317.htm

(Not able to access the info online at this time)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

This phone was modified at the Western Electric shop where it was made equivalent to a non-dial 500 by adding a newer style network, ringer, transmitter unit, receiver unit, and switch hook. The original ringer is connected directly to the hand generator so that these two parts are isolated from the outside line. (The C4 ringer from a 500 is used for incoming calls.) The original transmitter parts, receiver parts and receiver cord would have been returned to the customer in a paper sack. Since the local Bell company owned the new parts, the customer would have paid rent on these parts.

The Bell System Repair Specification number and the Drawing Number were stamped on the back of the phone when it was modified in 1975. These markings are often not present even when the modifications are definitely done by the WE shop.

While many of us would disagree, the fact that this modification was done by the WE shop makes the phone interesting as is. Also, it has been certified as a working phone on a modern Central Office. The 1317 is not a rare phone, and this is not a hack job. I'd leave it as is or trade it for an original if original is what you want.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BruceP

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2013, 02:21:39 AM
1916 Short Transmitter Arm
1938 Short Transmitter Arm and Bulldog Transmitter

So does that mean it was made sometime between 1916 and 1938?

Sargeguy

Somewhere in that range.  It is hard to say because these were often retrofitted with newer transmitters, and some of the later ones were painted black, usually these were originally oak.  The outside seems to have been stripped and refinished, judging from the missing decal and clean appearance, so its hard to nail it down exactly.  There are no nickel plated parts on it so it probably not early.  There are no recycled nickel parts so it is probably not Great Depression or WWII.  I would say 1920s. ???

Is there a date on the strain relief?  That may help.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409