News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Farr Telephone and Construction Company of Chicago questions/request

Started by PhoneSeeker, November 11, 2013, 09:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoneSeeker

I picked up a cathedral top Oak WallPhone at the Northern California Telephone Show last Saturday and was told by the seller that it's a "Farr" Unfortunately, it is a  project phone and so it's missing it's transmitter and manufacturer's ID and logo.  I'm hoping one of the Wooden Telephone experts on this site might be able to share any photos or information on the Farr company and possibly this model of telephone.  The Kate Dooner book I'm using has little information on Farr and no photos of examples.  The Phonecoinc catalog doesn't offer decals for this manufacturer. I did see a small photo of a Farr on an auction site but it wasn't a clear photo and it was only one angle. The photo was just enough to suggest an unusual long neck transmitter.

I'd appreciate any clues, photos, suggestions. Thank you!

Contempra

A picture will be appreciated Phoneseeker. Even just for the beauty of this phone :)

PhoneSeeker

As soon as I find where my wife put our camera I'll post a photo, hopefully in the next couple of days. We had been touring the new Oakland International Airport Control Tower yesterday and I don't where she put the camera. Sorry.

This Farr is a very slender looking box as wooden wall phones go and light in colored. I hope I didn't end up with fake but the seller did seem sincere enough and it does seem like old wood.

PhoneSeeker

This is the Farr I picked up at the Northern California Telephone Show. I did a  couple of black bells that I had on hand. the rest is as found.

paul-f

Here are some harvested Farr photos...

(Edit: added another photo)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Here's a 2-box for comparison...

PhoneSeeker

I must have posted the wrong picture earlier. Here's the Farr that purchased from the Northern CA  Show. Thank you for your photos. Now I know what to work toward.

PhoneSeeker

This is the closest transmitter I've got in my spare parts. Unfortunately the top and bottom screw holes don't match up. Paul, do you have any other information on that photo you harvested? Did the source mention a year or a model name? I noticed that my manufacturer's tag would have gone up above instead of the lower position as on your photo.  Maybe a slightly different model year than your picture?  Otherwise, it looks like a great match up! Thank you for posting Paul!

paul-f

Quote from: PhoneSeeker on November 11, 2013, 02:50:08 PM

Paul, do you have any other information on that photo you harvested? Did the source mention a year or a model name? I noticed that my manufacturer's tag would have gone up above instead of the lower position as on your photo.  Maybe a slightly different model year than your picture?  Otherwise, it looks like a great match up! Thank you for posting Paul!

Unfortunately, I have no more info.  Apparently the photos are from an auction from 2004 or earlier and have survived several computer replacements.  The date explains the small size and relatively poor quality of the photos.

Farr undoubtedly made several models, so you need to keep searching for an exact match.  Some places I'd try include Ron Knappen's Price Guide (has lots of photocopies from early phone ads, sort of sorted by manufacturer) and posts on the TCI and ATCA listservs.  There are several collectors in the clubs that would probably recognize the model on sight and may have parts.

unbeldi

Quote from: PhoneSeeker on November 11, 2013, 11:24:57 AM
This is the Farr I picked up at the Northern California Telephone Show. I did a  couple of black bells that I had on hand. the rest is as found.

Could it be the Farr Telephone No. 14?   

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on November 11, 2013, 05:34:06 PM
No. 14 doesn't appear to have the folding writing shelf.
I don't see that in his original photo either.

Oh, I see, he switched photos. Alright.

PhoneSeeker

Actually  I bought two  project phones and judging from both Paul's and unbeldi's photos perhaps both of them are Farr's. Both are missing their tags. The No 14 sure looks like a match to the non-folding shelf one. Thank you unbeldi !

Sargeguy

I don't know much about FARR, did they  manufacture their own components or compile the electronics from other sources?  Most of the small companies used someone else's parts to some extent.  I have described 4 types of phone manufacturers below, I think FARR was a 2 or a 3, but that is just speculation based upon the fact that you don't see a lot of FARR parts floating around.

1. Western Electric, Kellogg, American Electric, etc. were some of the larger companies who made their own phones out of their own components (for the most part) and supplied parts to other manufacturers.

2. There were other manufacturers sourced parts from several other companies in addition to making components of their own design.

3. There were companies who might make the wooden case or candlestick base but used electronic components sourced from other manufacturers

4 Companies who bought all the components and constructed the phones, attaching a label with their name on it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409