News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought at local antique mall.

Started by Zombie Dave, March 07, 2018, 09:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Your problem is with the shunt contacts on the dial.  The contact at the end of the part with the red arrow pointing (in the attached picture) to it should touch the contact next to it only when the dial is not at its rest position.  There appears to be a bend near the arrow head which is causing the contacts to touch when they should not.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

BTW, I have seen modular handset cords at the local dollar stores.  The simplest way to clean the dial contacts is with a piece of brown paper, such as from a grocery bag.  Contact cleaner spray can also help.

Larry

Zombie Dave

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 15, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Your problem is with the shunt contacts on the dial.  The contact at the end of the part with the red arrow pointing (in the attached picture) to it should touch the contact next to it only when the dial is not at its rest position.  There appears to be a bend near the arrow head which is causing the contacts to touch when they should not.

Larry

Ok.  Before I attempt to gently straighten that,  is that something I can do or should I send off?

I received my new modular jacks and already broke one tip off of my 616D and my 623D has a black wire my old one didn't have. Lol
I've looked at the wiring diagram for the WE with the 425B network,  but really didn't see the modular jack wiring... or at least what matched mine.

LarryInMichigan

I would suggest straightening the bent contact and seeing how the dial works before sending it anywhere. 

Don't worry about the black and yellow leads from the 623D connector.  You don't need one.  Just cover the metal spade lugs and hide them somewhere.

Larry

Zombie Dave

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 15, 2018, 04:54:43 PM
I would suggest straightening the bent contact and seeing how the dial works before sending it anywhere. 

Don't worry about the black and yellow leads from the 623D connector.  You don't need one.  Just cover the metal spade lugs and hide them somewhere.

Larry
Thank You!
So far so good! I can hear! Called and received calls. Now the only issue is when I dial,  I can hear it in the handset.  I'll save that for another day though. 

LarryInMichigan

When the dial is away from its rest position, the two contacts should touch each other.  You should be able to bend them just the right amount to make them open and close appropriately.

Larry

Zombie Dave

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 15, 2018, 07:24:20 PM
When the dial is away from its rest position, the two contacts should touch each other.  You should be able to bend them just the right amount to make them open and close appropriately.

Larry

Ok,  I'll make that tomorrows project. Sounds like just a little adjustment is needed.

Thank you so much for your help.

Dan F

To all:

That little bend in the spring contact is supposed to be there. WE put it there to make sure the contact has good tension to contact the thicker member of the switch set.

It the contacts are not opening up when the dial is at rest then there is a timing issue with the dial position.

Also you might check if the index pin on the bottom of the switch assy is seated properly.

rdelius

should if the shaft rocks back and forth. It might have a worn out main shaft