News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 - Purple Chromium Powder Coat

Started by mazda_matt, February 14, 2020, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Just had this guy powder coated. This is a three layer coating that starts with a chrome base, semi transparent purple tint and a thick clear coat.

What are your thoughts? I also had another one done in a green chromium. Will post once I take some pictures!

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

HarrySmith

Pretty Cool! I am assuming they are metal body 302's?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

Absolutely stunning... purple and black, perfect for halloween. now  the question is.... would a witch or a warlock have this in their home?
John

mazda_matt

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 14, 2020, 02:36:46 PM
Pretty Cool! I am assuming they are metal body 302's?

Yes, this was a metal pre war model.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 14, 2020, 02:43:48 PM
Absolutely stunning... purple and black, perfect for halloween. now  the question is.... would a witch or a warlock have this in their home?

This screams a witch to me.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

FABphones

Quote from: mazda_matt on February 14, 2020, 02:06:05 PM
...What are your thoughts?...

-MM

Beautiful depth of colour, with a nice richness to it.
Nicely photographed too.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

mazda_matt

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: FABphones on February 14, 2020, 03:09:26 PM
Beautiful depth of colour, with a nice richness to it.
Nicely photographed too.

Its certainly something you need to see in person to fully appreciate it.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Here is a sneak peek of the candy teal one. My painter told me its similar to 1950's Chevy Teal
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

CanadianGuy

I'm sure the purists won't be happy, but I LOVE it!

Quote from: mazda_matt on February 14, 2020, 03:50:44 PM
Thanks Duffy!

I may have to bring one of my spare metal 302's in and have your painter fix me one up for me. :)

Doug Rose

Mazda Matt...great colors, any reason you don't paint the handsets to match? These would look great with matching handsets and a 5J or 6D on them....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I like the look with black trim.
I have heard there were some chromed 302 retirement sets that had matching handsets. I have never had the chance to see one in person.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it adds {at least} 2 steps to Matt's starting process to plate the handsets.
ISTR reading that you start with metallic paint, electroplate over it with {copperand then} brass, and then electroplate the brass with chrome to create your chrome base .
Once you have the chrome then you go with the transparent tint, then the clear coat.
You could always add another step after the tint coat and air brush any design you wanted (pinstripes, flames ect) onto the phone and then clear coat.
These are cool creations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other nice metal phones that people plate. You could create a really cool collection of tinted chrome sets.
I feel that stripping/polishing/plating/tinting of these old metal sets is not lamp-making, These actions come under artistic license. There are lots of these old sets that are in poor condition, Might as well make them custom and maybe get someone else interested in old telephones.

JMO,
Jim

{denotes edit to add the copper step, please correct me if I am wrong}
>additional edit: if you use a metallic copper paint can you skip the copperplate  step?<
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

KEN