News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

bells ding on other phones when one is picked up or dialed

Started by Fibber McGee, August 24, 2011, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fibber McGee

Every once in a while I have ended up with a phone whose bells will ding when the receiver is lifted or a number is dialed.  I have a 211 with 684 subset that does this and I have a Trimline that does it as well. 

What I have run into most recently is that the Trimline will ding even if I pick up and dial out on my 302 that is on the same line in another room.  While it is not the end of the world, it seems like there should be a quick fix for this.  I believe it is caused by voltage spikes created by the opening and closing of the switch contacts, similar to how a make-and-break ignition system on a hit-and-miss engine works. 

Has anyone else had this problem and would a capacitor across the switch contacts cure it?

Thanks for the help.

sincerely,
rh

dsk

:D Welcome to the forum.

This problem is well known, i believe it is called bell tinkle.

Most American telephones ringers has a bias spring to prevent this. sometimes it is enough to reverse the line cords to change polarity, sometimes you have to adjust the spring.

On European telephones this spring may or may not be there. I believe some areas just learned to live with it  :D

In UK they have a special wiring with the ringer circuit separated to solve this.

dsk

Fibber McGee

Thanks!  I will give the spring adjustment a try.   :)