News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removal of Gummy Dial Gasket

Started by winkydink, September 05, 2011, 09:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I am working on a WE 302 currently and the dial gasket has literally turned to tar.

Has anyone had this happen ?  Any suggestions on how to remove without damaging the plastic shell.  I have already soaked it in soapy water, and gotten some off but there is still quite a bit of residual. 

The gasket turned tar is also all over the dial (which will need to be cleaned) and has oozed into the bells below.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh on a different note.  It looks like one of the feet was exposed to moisture and has rusted on the bottom of the case underneath one of the footpads.  Any suggestion on how to remove the rust and then repaint the bottom ?

Thanks.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

troydog

Now take this was care. I had this happen to a super 8mm sound camera. The ring is rubber around the eye piece.  The rubber turned to tar nasty sticky black tar. On it I removed all I could with basic cleaning. Then this part you would want to test on a part of the phone like the inside that you do not see.

I used goo be gone took lots of clean rags to get it done.

Never spray wd40 on plastic. I made this error on a turntable cover and wow talk about omg it was toasted. But you can use 3 and 1 oil to clean some plastics and remove stickers safe.

If it is on any metal use brasso.  It will remove it most of the time.