News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Repainting a WE-Style Payphone

Started by compubit, March 16, 2018, 09:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I've picked up 2 WE-style pay phones - one is a true WE 1C2, which I'm in the process of restoring as close to original as possible.

The second is an AT&T 1D2C4-03 "Custom manufactured in Taiwan R.O.C. for AT&T" mix of parts (most dated between 1986 & 1996 - 1996 being the paint stamp on the back of the case and inside).   When it arrived, the handset was shattered, but I have replacements

I've really wanted a white pay phone, so was thinking of painting this one (either paint myself or get the chassis powder coated white), putting a white handset on it, and getting it working as close as I can to the original (possibly even robbing a spare Comkey tone pad for white number buttons...).

Anyone have thoughts?  In my opinion, it's not a "classic", in that it was built late 90s, and the case is chipping, but then again, it's a WE style device.  I think a white payphone would be fun, but then again, it wouldn't be "original"...
Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

HarrySmith

Why not? It's not original anyway, so it's not like you are destroying anything. If you want a white payphone, go for it!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

And there have been white payphones before.

A commemorative white 1964 NY World Fair Payphone by Stan S. Of course it's no single slot.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

poplar1

Northern made multi-slot pay phone in white.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

kleenax

Quote from: Haf on March 16, 2018, 10:27:28 PM
And there have been white payphones before.

A commemorative white 1964 NY World Fair Payphone by Stan S. Of course it's no single slot.

Haf

Does anyone know if there is a BSP for this White Payphone?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

kleenax

Quote from: compubit on March 16, 2018, 09:57:18 PM
I've picked up 2 WE-style pay phones - one is a true WE 1C2, which I'm in the process of restoring as close to original as possible.

The second is an AT&T 1D2C4-03 "Custom manufactured in Taiwan R.O.C. for AT&T" mix of parts (most dated between 1986 & 1996 - 1996 being the paint stamp on the back of the case and inside).   When it arrived, the handset was shattered, but I have replacements

I've really wanted a white pay phone, so was thinking of painting this one (either paint myself or get the chassis powder coated white), putting a white handset on it, and getting it working as close as I can to the original (possibly even robbing a spare Comkey tone pad for white number buttons...).

Anyone have thoughts?  In my opinion, it's not a "classic", in that it was built late 90s, and the case is chipping, but then again, it's a WE style device.  I think a white payphone would be fun, but then again, it wouldn't be "original"...
Jim

Jim;

I would also say GO FOR IT!  As far as payphones go, Western Electric and AE did some really strange and wonderful variations for special occasions and events; just look at the strange way that they commemorated the 1 millionth phone in Chicago! That was without-a-doubt the bitchiest paint job that I have ever done!

I guess that's why I enjoy payphones so much; you can use some "Artistic License" with them, just like Western Electric did!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

compubit

Thanks for the feedback.  The 1C2 is almost done Being refurbed - just looking for the replacement 31A board that USPS has misplaced - the seller sent FedEx to my PO delivery address, and it was handed off for delivery, but is misplaced...

I'll keep that one original and build out the 1D2 in white. Now to find a local powder coaster, after stripping down the remaining paint...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

wds

Here's my white AE payphone.
Dave

Haf

Quote from: kleenax on March 17, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Does anyone know if there is a BSP for this White Payphone?

you betcha!

But if you did all the effort with the millionth Chicago payphone should't you have the plaque engraved like the original?

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

compubit

Very nice exemplars!

Can't wait to get mine completed!

Jim

kleenax

Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

oldguy

Gary

AE_Collector

AE had three slot payphones available in every colour that they made 80's and 90's in. 12 colours including Chrome I believe. But Single Slots available only in Chrome, black and beige.

Terry

kleenax

Here's the photo of "All the Colors" in AE Payphones..........
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Key2871

Wow that's quite a collection. A very nice collection.
KEN