News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Radio! - 1930s Truetone model D-727

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 01, 2011, 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I haven't found much in the way of phones around here lately, but I found an interesting radio at a nearby estate sale.  It is a 1930s Truetone model D-727.  It is in very good condition, and it does mostly work, at least on the standard broadcast band (MW).  it is quite large (21 1/4"W x 12"H x 9"D).  It was marked $199 yesterday and reduced to $150 today.  I offered $120, and they accepted.  I don't know if I got a good deal or not.

Larry

rp2813

Nice looking radio.

It doesn't matter so much if you got a good deal or not, as long as you like it.
Ralph

Nilsog

Man, some of the stuff you guys come across makes me jealous. I'd love to come across some old radios, expecially if they work. Thats a beaut, and Ralph is right- as long as you like it, its worth what you paid.
Ken

Bill

Nilsog -

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and we should immediately take this off line if it gets into specifics. I have collected old radios for about 25 years, and I am now in the process of selling off my collection (to concentrate on telephones!) I am in Wells, Maine, so figure shipping from there.

Email me for details - my email address is in my profile. Other members welcome to reply, of course.

Dennis, if I have overstepped, please feel free to delete this.

Bill

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

I don't think that your message is hijacking the thread at all.  If you have a link to pictures and information about your radios, please post it.  I am sure that several forum members would be interested.

Larry

Bill

Thanks for the invitation, Larry. I will rely on Dennis to keep me in line, but I don't think we want to get real commercial on this site - we should go offline if it gets to that.

Easiest place to look at a few of my radios is
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/contributor.htm?code=81
My contributions to this site were made quite a number of years ago. I still have many but not all of the radios shown, and of course I have quite a number of others that have not made it into this gallery. If anyone wants to email me with questions about a particular radio, or to inquire about a radio not shown or a general preference for old radios (wood vs plastic, table vs floor model, 1920s vs 1930s, etc), I will try to respond. Perhaps I will try to update the gallery in the next few weeks as well.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Bill on July 17, 2011, 01:29:08 PM
Nilsog -

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and we should immediately take this off line if it gets into specifics. I have collected old radios for about 25 years, and I am now in the process of selling off my collection (to concentrate on telephones!) I am in Wells, Maine, so figure shipping from there.

Email me for details - my email address is in my profile. Other members welcome to reply, of course.

Dennis, if I have overstepped, please feel free to delete this.

Bill
Bill...I am at Janet's father's house in Kennebunk this weekend. I didn't know you were so close, I wondered why  phones were not showing up at the Arundel Flea Market anymore ;D...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Bill, I have no problem at all with you discussing your radios and/or some you'd like to sell.  This "Off Topic" section is fine as we've discussed radios many times in the past.  You may even start a new "topic" in this "Off Topic" area if you'd like.

I suppose we'd have to watch things on a case-by-case basis so it doesn't become a use car lot but personally I like radios....a couple of the member of this forum are also members of the radio collectors forums as well.

rp2813

Bill, I would love to see more pictures.

That S.C. 235H is interesting and rich looking, but the little bakelite RCA with aeronautical dial is a scene stealer.  The Trail Blazer is a handsome set too.
Ralph

Bill

Thanks all for the encouragement. I will try to get an up-to-date set of pictures taken and stashed somewhere within the next few days.

The 235H is a handsome radio - I love it. Sad to say, at some point in its life, someone pulled the pushbutton assembly out of it, so it looks a little dopey now with all the open holes in the faceplate. I've located another assembly, but it is in a console (floor model) radio in Kentucky. The price of the radio is a bit high, though maybe manageable, but shipping a console to New England would be prohibitive. The owner won't ship anyway - it is pickup only - and he refuses to pull out the parts I need and ship them. So for the moment, I am stuck.

Nice-looking old radios are a lot of fun.

Bill