News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Monophone

Started by LarryInMichigan, May 02, 2011, 10:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290561987998 on ebay for $39.99 BIN, and I couldn't resist.  Obviously, the handset is wrong for the base, but I have been looking for an AE40 type handset with chrome bands anyway.  I have an AE 1A which is all bakelite and has a taller base and a dial.  This one looks like it's all metal.  Does anyone have an idea of the date of this?

Also, I will now be in the market for a proper handset and a rubber gasket for the base.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Gary Goff is the AE gasket supplier for these phones. About $11 a couple years ago. You can email him at gdgoff@gmail.com.

Jorge

AE_Collector

It's an AE 5 or AE15.

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b273/AE_Collector/Old%20Phones%20-%20Automatic%20Electric/?action=view&current=AE1V_ebay.jpg

Then there is this one is listed on ebaY currently for $109 with a busted cradle ear and a non chrome type 41 handset. I keep watching for a deal on one of them but am never in the right place at the right time :(

Terry

stub

Terry ,
                     That phone has been on a long time !!!

LarryInMichigan ,
                        Nice phone , I hope you can get a nice type 38 handset !!! For some strange reason they are high right now?      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE_collector on May 03, 2011, 12:48:07 AM
Then there is this one is listed on ebaY currently for $109 with a busted cradle ear and a non chrome type 41 handset. I keep watching for a deal on one of them but am never in the right place at the right time :(

Terry

Maybe I should break off one of the ears and replace the handset caps with plain ones and re-list it ;)

The seller refunded $3 of the shipping charge. 

Larry

GG

The type 41 handsets do not fit quite right on the 1A cradles. 

The 1A cradle is designed to take a handset that is symmetrical along the length of its handle   The 41 handsets are not symmetrical: they are wider at the point about 3/4 the way down the handle to the transmitter.  That point on the 41 handset is too wide to fit in the 1A cradle.  The result will be that the handset has to be shifted in the cradle such that the receiver is sticking out further than the transmitter, which "looks wrong."  An attempt to force the handset into the cradle in the "right" position can break the ears on a 1A cradle. 

One could of course sand down the 41 handset to fit, but IMHO that's a not-allowed type of modification because it's destructive and irreversible.

Never attempt to bend the ears on a metal AE 1A cradle to widen them; this will only break them off.  Attempting to file the metal or bakelite ears will weaken them to the point where they can break off more easily. 

If you have to mongrelize:  E1s fit just barely.  F1s almost fit; a slight bit of sanding of an F1 will make it fit.  GPO 164s fit.  The Dutch Standard Electric version of an F1 just barely fits, so the Dutch Ericsson version of an F1 will probably just barely fit.  The bakelite KTAS handset with cupped mouthpiece will probably also fit because it has a relatively narrow handle. 

But realistically, best to stick to the original handset type. 

LarryInMichigan

I do not intend to keep that handset with the phone.  I bought the phone as much for the handset with the chrome bands as I did for the base.  I am looking for a proper handset to go with the base.

Larry