News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1948 Mahogany N.E. Uniphone Model No. 1 with NU handset

Started by ....., September 12, 2018, 10:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got back my 1948 Mahogany N.E. Uniphone Model No. 1 with NU handset today. Some before and after shots

Back in the middle of July I picked up a large assortment of phones and phone related items. This phone was in that lot. CRPF member Jeff Lamb and I did some wheeling and dealing. After it was all said and done Jeff took home some pieces and I ended up with this restored phone. He did an awesome job on the restore, I can't say enough about Jeff's talent. Thank you Jeff. It is now on display in my phone room.

FABphones

Nice work.

I like the way you've displayed it with the case, and the other phones around it. Very nicely laid out.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Doug....Definitely one of the cooler sets. The handset looks clunky on it, I can see why NE went with an F1.....but I love that handset....it makes the phone. I know....it  makes no sense. For some reason the NU looks better on a #2....in my distorted opinion  ::)

Great phone!

Any idea why NE made these in Mahogany? I know the majority were made in black...other Doug
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 13, 2018, 07:35:40 AM
Doug....Definitely one of the cooler sets. The handset looks clunky on it, I can see why NE went with an F1.....but I love that handset....it makes the phone. I know....it  makes no sense. For some reason the NU looks better on a #2....in my distorted opinion  ::)

Great phone!

Any idea why NE made these in Mahogany? I know the majority were made in black...other Doug

Doug,

Both handsets came with this phone. I can replace the NU with the F1 at anytime. I liked the NU and had Jeff use that one. As why they made it in the Mahogany colour. I have no idea.

CDN Doug

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Vern P

Yes that is a great phone.    Just wanted to tell the story about the one I found years ago.

I bought this telephone thinking it was just a Black one, as the F1 was black.  The whole thing was painted Green, sat in the shelf for years.  Then I was digging stuff out to sell, I open it to look if it had a ringer (no ringer). To my surprise it was a Mahogany body, with no crack or chips !  I did strip the Green paint off, found a NU handset on eBay, then put the whole thing back on the shelf.    Just pulled it down to work on it, put a NOS Brown curly hand set cord on. But don't know about witch finger wheel to put on it,  it has a #5 WE dial, (I think I have a NE dial) so I could go black or chrome.   What do you think ??  PS: This does not have a ringer, I need to look if I can fine one in my MESS.

Vern

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

To me, the Finger wheels are always the toughest decision on the NE Mahogany phones. Black just doesn't look right, but that is what I always see when these are found in the wild.

On my #1 I have an sani-clean nickel and the #2 I have an sani-clean brass.

I found a lot of sani-clean finger wheels NOS in packages about 15 years ago. They came in nickel plate, brass and the toughest to find ...black. They are really cool and really make a phone.

I acquired both Telephones from Forum members. The #1 I got from Paul F. It was painted and was a labor of love to restore. #2 I got from Stephen...Jester on the Forum.

The Mahogany phones are one of my favorites....Doug
Kidphone

Very nice Doug,

We have twins! LOL

Now I understand why you said keep the NU.  :)

CDN Doug