News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question for the phone men/women

Started by Kenny C, March 31, 2011, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have severe static on my line. I have disconnected every old phone to be sure it isnt one of them. But it keeps on. I unplugged the cordless and plugged in a 500 and still static!!!! The phone company instaled a new wire from the pole and ever since it has been static static static!!!!! and I am tired of it. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?????
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Do you have a test point at the protector? Usually there is a point where you can plug in a single phone that you are pretty much sure works properly and the inside wiring will be disconnected by you when you plug into the test point. If you do this and still have static, call the phone company back as it is there problem. If no static at the test point then it is likely your inside wiring/jacks so they may charge you for a repair visit depending on your agreement with them.

Terry

Russ Kirk

Kenny,

You can call repair service and have them test the line.  Often times repair service is automated and they can test the line and determine if the trouble is in their side of the network interface.  It has been decade since I left OSP,  so maybe some current repair people here can offer other advice.

Russ..
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rp2813

I think you have diagnosed it already.

Call 611 (or whatever the repair number might be for your provider) and have them put in a trouble ticket.  Usually the representative (or robot representative) can test the line while you wait to determine if the trouble is with your station wiring or on the telco's side of the SNI (where their pair of wires terminates and your inside wires start).

I forgot about the modular plug on the SNI.  That's a good place to check before calling repair.
Ralph

marty

Hi Kenny;
Make sure that on the Junction Box comming from the pole that ALL connections are tight with plenty of wire, on any screws, or junction points... I doubt that you check the pole connection... But, someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you more about that... and also check every connection from the junction box to each phone... Also take a phone to the junction box from the pole and check the ammount of static you get from there... on my junction box it has a modular connection that when unplugged you can plug in the phone and unplug the house line.. and that way check what is coming from the phone company to your house...
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

Alrighty fellas heres what I did I took my 55 500 to the box and It was fine when I plugged it in. I pushed the plunger down and it was not the same kind of static as inside. If that makes any sence
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

SOunded different but there was still static on your phone at the test point?

DO you see all the wires feeding to jacks in the house there at the protector/test point? If so and you DON'T get static when plugged into the test point you need to disconnect the inside wires and then reconnect them one at a time and check for static inside (not at the test point since it likely is disconnecting your inside wires anyway). When you connect an inside wire that causes static you have narrowed it down to the individual wire/jack causing the problem. Sounds like water causing the static. ANything get wet there recently?

Terry

Kenny C

I went out to the test jack and called the phone company and everything sounded fine I talked for 10+ minutes and it was all fine. as of now We have one jack connected. It is beside the stove so it very well could have gotten wet.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Kenny C

Me and Stub Fixed er up. All is fine in TN for me ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Ed D

Glad it's fixed.  But what exactly was the solution?

Ed

rp2813

Yeah, it sure sounds like an IW issue. 

Details please!
Ralph

stub

There was a short between the ground and the operator ::) I 'm not gonna tell , Kenny ;D    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Good to hear you fixed it. 

The place to start is always at the network interface, using a known-good phone.  If the static is on the telco side, call 611 repair service from the network interface and let them know that's where you're calling from, so they know it's on their side.

Audio guide to static problems:

If it sounds particularly crackly with a bit of "white noise" as on analog TV channels where there isn't a station: that is probably a loose connection somewhere, plus or minus the wind aggravating it.

Very sharp crackling without the white noise is most likely an intermittent metallic short across adjacent conductors. 

If there's a 60-Hz hum on it, whatever else is going on, you probably have one side of the line grounded.

If it sounds like hissing, like frying eggs, particularly if there's a kind of squealing or squeaking sound to it, that's a sign of a wet short such as rain or droplets of water. 

Some times you can get hissing + crackling, and that can be a sign of damp dust in a junction box.  For example in California we have dry weather most of the year, leading to dusty conditions; and then the early rains come with fog and so on.   Fog + dust = semi-conductive muddy film on connections. 

Prevention & isolation of trouble:

From your outside station protector, run one 4-pair cable into your house and to a type 66 connecting block.  Home-run all your jacks to their own positions on another 66-block.  Follow standard commercial inside wiring practices as far as possible.  Use cross-connect wire and/or bridging clips to make connections as needed. 

When trouble occurs, you can lift the bridging clips or the XC wire to each station run until you isolate the wire that's got the trouble.  Then reconnect all the good runs so you still have service in most of the building while you're remedying whatever was wrong with the troubled station run.

In new residential construction, flex conduit or EMT conduit to voice/data jacks is highly recommended.  Insert pull-strings into the conduits before you start pulling cables, to save yourself the hassle of needing to snake them when making adds/changes.  A vacuum cleaner can help suck the pull-strings through as long as each conduit run can be isolated from others.  If you design a house correctly, all T+D cable, all electric wiring, and all plumbing, will be designed to be accessible easily and without having to cause a bunch of destruction to make repairs. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub1953 on April 01, 2011, 12:00:16 AM

There was a short between the ground and the operator ::) I 'm not gonna tell , Kenny ;D    stub

What the operator went in to work in bare feet that day? Still Magneto service out in tham thar parts of Kentucky?

Terry