News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Creepy/Strange Dial Cards

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 28, 2015, 09:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

Yes, that's my creepiest to date. That one came from a yellow soft plastic 554 and judging from the area code, it's from Los Angeles. Maybe it was some creepy movie actor's phone? Or just some nut.  :)  When I encounter cards like this, I keep them in the fingerwheel with the phone, but covered up with a more appropriate number card. Otherwise the eyes follow me around the room.  :)  Here's the entire phone. The mold makes it look even weirder.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: jsowers on June 24, 2016, 09:26:07 PM
Yes, that's my creepiest to date. That one came from a yellow soft plastic 554 and judging from the area code, it's from Los Angeles. Maybe it was some creepy movie actor's phone? Or just some nut.  :)  When I encounter cards like this, I keep them in the fingerwheel with the phone, but covered up with a more appropriate number card. Otherwise the eyes follow me around the room.  :)  Here's the entire phone. The mold makes it look even weirder.
When I find weird cards that aren't made from a real one, I crumple them up and throw them away. Maybe I should same them all from now on and put them on ebay someday!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

There may be a market for dial cards that are creepy and strange!

TelePlay

Can't make out the make or year of the cars but I don't think this was taken within the past 10 years.

Nice photo but leaving it in the finger wheel for re-sale on eBay is a bit creepy, even if on a Princess, which I can understand the reason for putting it in there in the first place.

Can you imagine browsing eBay and seeing a photo of yourself from years gone by?

Dan/Panther

Quote from: jsowers on June 24, 2016, 09:26:07 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like Jeepers Creepers from the 61-62 TV show from Los Angeles, Jeepers Creepers Theater.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

jsowers

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 27, 2017, 12:54:24 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like Jeepers Creepers from the 61-62 TV show from Los Angeles, Jeepers Creepers Theater.

D/P

I finally saw a biography about Lon Chaney, Sr. on TV and that's who's in the picture. The "Man of a Thousand Faces." It's from the silent movie London After Midnight (1927). Curiously the only known print was destroyed by fire in 1967 and all they have are stills from the movie, including this creepy picture. It's almost October too. Time to get all our creepy phones out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_After_Midnight_(film)
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on September 27, 2017, 12:58:56 AM
Can't make out the make or year of the cars but I don't think this was taken within the past 10 years.

Nice photo but leaving it in the finger wheel for re-sale on eBay is a bit creepy, even if on a Princess, which I can understand the reason for putting it in there in the first place.

Can you imagine browsing eBay and seeing a photo of yourself from years gone by?

Interesting.

Is that a Mini and a Trabant in the background?

Finding a picture of yourself in a dial card retainer in the future is probably more likely than anywhere else. Phones hold their value, and nobody outside of the Collectors' Circle can figure out how to remove fingerwheels! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dan/Panther

Jonathan:
You are right.
Why in the name of all that is scared would they put a one of a kind film in harms way.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 28, 2017, 12:08:29 PM
Why in the name of all that is scared would they put a one of a kind film in harms way.

And why did WE mass destruct all of those candlesticks? Same reason, not being able to see the future.

jsowers

Another one appeared today, but it's a third relisting. This may be the season for creepy number cards. This black 500 is priced a tad too high at $99 but it does have free shipping and piercing eyes that follow you when you move. Funny that the picture on the phone is a picture of someone on the phone. But not the same phone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253179909039

Edit: Oops! Now that I look at the beginning of this thread, Christian pointed out the same phone last year this time. Wonder why it hasn't sold? It couldn't be Mildred looking out at us from the great beyond, could it?

Also, the cars behind the lady on the pink Princess look like 1950s Ramblers to me. But they're too small and obscured to really tell what they are.

The Hispanic community has a multi-day festival called Day of the Dead, celebrated this year from Halloween to November 2nd and what a perfect time to celebrate these and other phones. Because as you may know, most of our older phones belonged to people who are now dead. Bwwahahahahah!  ;)
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on September 28, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
Another one appeared today, but it's a third relisting. This may be the season for creepy number cards. This black 500 is priced a tad too high at $99 but it does have free shipping and piercing eyes that follow you when you move. Funny that the picture on the phone is a picture of someone on the phone. But not the same phone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/253179909039

Edit: Oops! Now that I look at the beginning of this thread, Christian pointed out the same phone last year this time. Wonder why it hasn't sold? It couldn't be Mildred looking out at us from the great beyond, could it?

I almost want to buy it just to get rid of the dial card!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Here's another one I found in my pictures that came from a friend. He got a dark beige 500 about ten years ago and it had this card. That's a type of Scotch in case you can't read the small print. I guess the former owner liked his booze enough to make it his number card.
Jonathan

Greg G.

This is a wallet-sized picture dated 1960 that we found when we did some remodeling a few years ago (I log and keep all artifacts we find, even the seemingly mundane ones.)  Maybe I'll make a dial card out of it.  Hey, that's an idea, we can have a contest on who comes up with the most hideous dial card!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Owain

Quote from: Dan F on June 18, 2016, 03:49:22 PM
You realize that most of these people are most likely dead?

Yebbut by natural causes?

TelePlay

Regardless of the sale, the number card qualifies it for entry here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-English-bakelite-phone-GPO-/292421236825