"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new 1964 1500D for 31.00 on eBay

Started by WesternElectricBen, October 13, 2013, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello,

In just a matter if minuets I won my second 1500D. I'm actually bidding on another pair, and winning.

I'm excited about this one because its the first year of official production and it has a cool cord restraint which I don't have any phone yet that have it. Tell me if you see anything wrong with it that made other people not bid.

I got it for 31.00 dollars on eBay and it look all original, the only problem is, it has a crack. I can supergule it, but I really want to try out acetone. Though I did make sure to contact the seller to make sure he/she taped the crack so it didn't get worse.

Pictures posted:

Ben

southernphoneman

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 13, 2013, 10:01:34 PM
Hello,

In just a matter if minuets I won my second 1500D. I'm actually bidding on another pair, and winning.

I'm excited about this one because its the first year of official production and it has a cool cord restraint which I don't have any phone yet that have it. Tell me if you see anything wrong with it that made other people not bid.

I got it for 31.00 dollars on eBay and it look all original, the only problem is, it has a crack. I can supergule it, but I really want to try out acetone. Though I did make sure to contact the seller to make sure he/she taped the crack so it didn't get worse.

Pictures posted:

Ben
good deal ben, I think those are rare, I have seen these sell for high dollar amounts. :)Gregg

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on October 14, 2013, 05:01:54 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 13, 2013, 10:01:34 PM
Hello,

Pictures posted:

Ben
good deal ben, I think those are rare, I have seen these sell for high dollar amounts. :)Gregg

Thanks Gregg, what I think is cool is I have never seen that restraint on the 1500's before. Just the early 500's.
Ben

ESalter

I have several 60s era 500s with that type of boot, as well as a couple 1500s and even a couple early 2500s.  That kind has nylon inside the cord that's pulled out and doubled under the crimp.  The crimp has a ring that's meant to be anchored under one of the ringer mounting screws.  I like those a lot better than the newer kind that hooks into the slot stamped in the base.

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on October 14, 2013, 08:48:30 PM
I have several 60s era 500s with that type of boot, as well as a couple 1500s and even a couple early 2500s.  That kind has nylon inside the cord that's pulled out and doubled under the crimp.  The crimp has a ring that's meant to be anchored under one of the ringer mounting screws.  I like those a lot better than the newer kind that hooks into the slot stamped in the base.

---Eric

I see, they even look cleaner too.

Ben

ESalter

I completely agree.  When you get it and take the housing off you'll see what I mean about how the crimp on the cord is made differently.  It's kindof hard to explain.  I really like the looks of the straight boots like this though, even on handset cords.

---Eric

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on October 14, 2013, 11:57:12 PM
I completely agree.  When you get it and take the housing off you'll see what I mean about how the crimp on the cord is made differently.  It's kindof hard to explain.  I really like the looks of the straight boots like this though, even on handset cords.

---Eric

Huh, never seen them on handset cords before. Though to me it would seem kind of ugly.

Ben

ESalter

All 500s/554s up until the mid 60s had straight boots like that on the handset cords.  On the handset end of the cord, I mean.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: ESalter on October 15, 2013, 12:05:30 PM
All 500s/554s up until the mid 60s had straight boots like that on the handset cords.  On the handset end of the cord, I mean.

Oh, yes I agree. The stubby retainer looks much better.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Alright, I got it in the mail, yesterday and just haven't had time to upload the photos. The seller did tape up the crack as requested, which I am happy with.

When I got it home, I smelled the smoke smell, so I unwarped it outside, opened it, and let it sit out for the night to air out. And now it doesn't smell to bad.

Though, I think this one wins the award for having the most amount of dates..

Pictures posted:

WesternElectricBen

More pics

WesternElectricBen

Gosh, I take a lot of pictures...

poplar1

The 1958 soft plastic G3 handle is a nice bonus! That may be useful for restoring a soft plastic beige 500 later on.
(The soft plastic beige 500s were apparently built only from 1957 to 1959.)

Appears to have been rebuilt in 1966 by/for Illinois Bell; that's probably when the 1958 handle was added.

The housing itself is the same for a non-modular 1500 or 2500--only the faceplate is different so you may want to look for a housing on a beige 2500 parts phone rather than try to glue this one. Just sayin'---
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on October 20, 2013, 04:39:28 PM
The 1958 soft plastic G3 handle is a nice bonus! That may be useful for restoring a soft plastic beige 500 later on.
(The soft plastic beige 500s were apparently built only from 1957 to 1959.)

Appears to have been rebuilt in 1966 by/for Illinois Bell; that's probably when the 1958 handle was added.

The housing itself is the same for a non-modular 1500 or 2500--only the faceplate is different so you may want to look for a housing on a beige 2500 parts phone rather than try to glue this one. Just sayin'---

Interesting, I have a soft plastic b eige phone from 59.

Do you think I should get buy a new set of casing? Or just use what I have.

Though, for right now I'l just clean it up, get it working, and set it on the shelf.

Ben

poplar1

I think the way you are proceeding is fine: get it working, turn the faceplate over, look for some free or cheap beige plastics; the faceplate is the hardest part to find.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.