News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why so much bidding on this? My little Ebay rant...

Started by Dan, April 04, 2009, 07:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

http://tinyurl.com/pink-and-turquoise-WE500

I'll admit, the soft centered fingerwheels and the feet on the pink one means it could be soft plastic (or a 1959-1962 thermoplastic), while I know the turquoise? one is post 1963 (small feet, they only started making these in 1964).

I asked the seller to send me a picture of the back of the phones and his response was "I think based on the pictures you could guess the overall age of the telephones."
What???
Wow! He is getting a lot of bids here. Look @ the cord of the aqua? or Turquoise phone- it could be  light blue. The pink may be hard plastic.

I've learned the hard way that a telephone has  refurbs and it's originality can be lost. I've bid on quite a few that I thought were soft plastic, only to find cord replacements and housing replacements too. Even when they say it says C/D 500 3-57 on the back, it unfortunately doesn't mean it is a true soft original. Pictures are the key.

This guy wouldn't send me a pic, so I can't bid. Still looking for the ever elusive turquoise 500.

Thanks for letting me vent. I get frustrated when I can't even get a picture.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Pictures are indeed the key, and it seems to me any seller who wants top dollar for his item (whatever that item is) will welcome the opportunity to send more photos.  I think the entire price is being driven by the pink phone.  There are probably a lot of people out there who are willing to take the chance, given it's leather feet and stubby handset cord strain relief.  But yeah... I'd want some proof on a potentially high-dollar item.  The fact that the seller is so unaccommodating doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Yeah I agree with ya'll, that pink phone is driving the bidding and people are simply taking a risk that it's what they think it is. 

Weirdness that the seller won't even bother to tell you the numbers on the back, let alone a picture.

Dan

He calls the phones "60's" , so if the pink has leather feet, I guess the auction misrepresents  the items ;)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

I currently am watching these on My Ebay and have since they were listed and also throught that it was odd that there was no exact dates listed or anything.  I was going to ask, but already knew I wasn't going to buy them because of the high price and my tight budget, but am very curious of what will happen with these.  I would definately never buy them if I had gotten an e-mail back like that!
- Tom

Dennis Markham

The "green' phone does look like turquoise and not a yellowed aqua...(blue and yellow make green, isn't that the way it goes?)....but the cords certainly look aqua.  If the phone were aqua it seems it wouldn't be so evenly discolored, HOWEVER the dial ring does look aqua on my monitor.  They both have the 7 Series dial as evidenced by the finger stop.  My 1964 Turquoise has the 7D dial.  They both have the open center finger wheels.  The true color would obviously be inside the caps and under the sticker.  Turquoise wasn't produced until 1964 and they did have the rounded feet.  The pink looks a little discolored but the cords look nice.  Right now at $65 for both it's not a bad buy.  But finding replacement cords in that color (turquoise) will be tough.  I'm still not convinced it's not aqua.  The color code on the dial would tell the story as I'll bet it's original to the phone.  But if the seller won't take a picture he certainly isn't going to remove the cover and look on the back of the dial for a color code.  But if he did that he may get more action. 

He/She is a big time eBay seller with over 20,000 feedback comments.  Seventy-two of the negative in the past 12 months.  With the volume of stuff they're pushing they don't care much about taking more photos and sending them to you.  They're just pushing stuff through.  Buyer Beware.