News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Want to get into collecting, where is a good place to start?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, April 04, 2018, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fushigi Ojisan

I always thought it would be nifty to have an orginal paystation as one of the extension phones in my place.   I've had a restored Automatic Electric for going on 20 years, but I want sometthing, more, well, real, follow?

I'm partial to the three-slot units but something with touch-tone would be great for functuionality.   

Figured I should ask here before wandering randomly into eBay.
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies

kleenax

Welcome to the group!

There is also a payphone and phone booth group on Facebook as well that you might consider.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

Well you can have a touch tone 3 slot. Ironically touch tone three slots are more rare than rotary but when it comes to single slot payphones the rotary version is more difficult to find now.

What is your existing AE payphone?

Welcome to the Rotary Phone Forum!

Terry

Sargeguy

Welcome to the forum.  There are quite a few fakes and frankenphones out there so it is a good idea to do your homework before you buy.  As mentioned before, the payphone section is a great place to start.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fushigi Ojisan

Thanks for the welcome,

My Automatic Electric came by way of the Chicago Old Telephone Company in the mid-1990s.   If I read  the data plate correctly its an LPB-86-10 thats been converted to home use.  Will try to post some pics. 

My younger sister has a payphone as well, its been many years since I've seen it, I kinda like hers better anyway.   When I visit her next I'll get pics.

In my other collecting world, I am used to getting the "needs some love" examples, so I don't mind bottom-feeding. 

Just hoping to get some help here.
Fushigi Ojisan

Greg G.

Quote from: Fushigi Ojisan on April 05, 2018, 09:36:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome,

My Automatic Electric came by way of the Chicago Old Telephone Company in the mid-1990s.   If I read  the data plate correctly its an LPB-86-10 thats been converted to home use.  Will try to post some pics. 

My younger sister has a payphone as well, its been many years since I've seen it, I kinda like hers better anyway.   When I visit her next I'll get pics.

In my other collecting world, I am used to getting the "needs some love" examples, so I don't mind bottom-feeding. 

Just hoping to get some help here.

Start with Craigslist, that's where I found the majority of my phones.  Not just in your area either, I've traveled up and down my state for phones.  I figured in the cost of gas not for the phone, but just "having fun".  Also map out the thrift stores in your area and hit them up regularly.  Yard sale season will be here soon too.  Ebay - eh.  I've seen many phones that I would have bought had it not been for the shipping charges.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

I might have  restored that paystation when I worked for Chicago Old Telephone

Payphone installer

Relationships, I have been collecting since 1987 and have owned  everything under  the sun in telephones. I went to shows and joined clubs and picked up the telephone and called. You eventually end up if you are smart, concentrating on what you like. Specialize, do not be afraid to buy and sell to get what you want. Sell the junk, by higher end stuff every time. Do not hoard.  I sold 20 pieces to buy one good one. Over and over.  Then 20 good pieces to by one excellent piece. In the end you only want the best and the rarest if you are a true collector. Don't get emotionally attached. Most people do, be different. It requires discipline.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Payphone installer on April 06, 2018, 07:44:03 PM
Relationships, I have been collecting since 1987 and have owned  everything under  the sun in telephones. I went to shows and joined clubs and picked up the telephone and called. You eventually end up if you are smart, concentrating on what you like. Specialize, do not be afraid to buy and sell to get what you want. Sell the junk, by higher end stuff every time. Do not hoard.  I sold 20 pieces to buy one good one. Over and over.  Then 20 good pieces to by one excellent piece. In the end you only want the best and the rarest if you are a true collector. Don't get emotionally attached. Most people do, be different. It requires discipline.
Very well said,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fushigi Ojisan

Thanks for the advice so far. 

I am located in the Mid-Atlantic area, I don't mind driving so its an option.

The plan is actually to get one very good representative example to use as an extension phone on my land line, and maybe a couple others as gifts to friends.

My AE does have a slight issue I'm told could be the network.   It sounds static-y when I pick it up.   
Fushigi Ojisan

HarrySmith

There is a big telephone show coming up in June at Lancaster PA. You will find everything telephone related at that show. It is one of two big club shows each year.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: Fushigi Ojisan on April 08, 2018, 11:46:25 AM
My AE does have a slight issue I'm told could be the network.   It sounds static-y when I pick it up.   

Quite common with payphones with armoured cords. Does it have an actual AE handset with armoured cord or a replacement handset of the more common WECo design? I found the WECo design payphone handsets we used (likely off shore copies) were very often noisy due to flexing of the armoured cord eventually compressing the spring contacts that touch the back of the transmitter removing proper tension and causing noise. Remove the transmitter cap (if possible) and pull upwards a bit on these two contacts so there will be more pressure against the back of the transmitter and problem solved.

Terry

Pourme

~

This thread, in my opinion, has gotten way off the subject of the OP's original subject which was:

"Want to get into collecting, where is a good place to start?"

The question is a very good question for someone that has been afflicted by Phoneitis. This is the best place on the World Wide Web to ask this question. I will try to answer:

Telephones have a very rich history going back over one hundred years, plus. My advice is to study that history. In that process, you will be attracted to one or more of many aspects of that history.

In pursuit of your collection, $$$ will have the greatest impact on what you collect. What is your budget?

If money isn't a factor, you can search for the rarest and most desired examples aviable, according to what interests you. Every collector  has his/her own taste. In any situation, please document your journey here so we can share your journey.

I have been a serious collector for only 3 years. My budget is restricted by my meager resourses for my passion. I probably spend less than my friends that have golf as their passion.  But in the end, I have phones that will be worth more than I paid for them in coming years and they have nothing to show for the $$ they paid.

In 3 years I have about 100 phones. I buy phones that tend to document every era from the early 1900's to current day. (I have one cell phone) My most expensive phone is worth about $800.00 (I paid $125.00)  I try to buy phones at a price that I could sell that phone for more in the future. I rarely buy the same phone twice. I consecrate on phones that I like. For instance, I only have one payphone. I don't feel qualified to judge which payphone to buy, but I must have ONE payphone for my collection.

Buy what you like and what you can afford. Over the years your taste will evolve and you will sell some and buy more expensive phones, like Kleenex does now. He had to start somewhere. Some members here have been doing this for far longer than others. We are blessed to learn from their experiences. This forum is the main resource for us beginners.  The information contained here is worth more than we could ever pay for!

Collect what you are attracted to...Build your collection over the years. If you are patient, don't overpay, your collection will be worth more every year! The golfer will never get his $$ back!

Have fun & ask questions on this forum along the way!

Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Haf

Very well said Benny!
I will try to add another aspect in collecting. You can try to get the rarest of the rare, that sure will give you admiration of other collectors. I do it the other way round. I have a special time period I like best, not only in phones but universal. The late 1920's up to the very early 1940's. So I collect everything that was most common those days, to represent ordinary people everydays life. The phones most people were familiar with. And don't think those phones are, as been everywhere in the old days, cheap and easy to get today- took me about 5 years and quite an amound of $$$ to get my closest to original as can be two piece payphone. That is the probem with many common things, they where not considered of any worth when their time was over and mostly just trashed. So, if you want to collect just a special time period, it will keep you busy too, you can live out your hunting instinct and, as the time period has a start and an end you have the chance to complete your collection some day. And, as there is a general interest in phones, I have lot's of not time period side stages to keep me busy too :)

And even a phone has persuing collection fields aside, like the right plugs and jacks and if you want to go very far, the right time and country period correct  tones (dial tone, busy, ringback etc).

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Pourme

~

Thanks, Haf!

Unless you have unlimited funds, you have to start on the ground floor and work your way up. As old collectors die away, newer collectors have the opportunity to add to their collections. This is what keeps the hobby healthy. Everyone can't collect top end pieces, you have to grow into it. This is largely a lifetime experience.

Not a bad way to live your passion....I only wish I had started earlier!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service