News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this WE (620A “1A2”) Key Telephone System?

Started by oldguy, March 27, 2018, 01:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I noticed this in an electrical room at the church I attend & do maintenance at. It looks like it might be some type of vintage telephone switching equipment. basically the only thing I know about is Panasonic 308 & 616. I thought it might be something I could play with at home. we only squired this facility a little over 2 years ago, so none of us know anything about the old equipment. any input would be appreciated.   
Gary

Greg G.

Apparently it is phone related, I found it on ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/282733747097
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

skyrider

It's a western Electric 620 Key Telephone System one of the last 1A2 systems used by the Bell System. Is there a power supply mounted next to it?

Bill Compton

oldguy

Thanks Brinybay & Bill. Will it work with rotary dial phones?
Gary

HarrySmith

The power supply may be mounted above, I see a black power cord coming down and plugged in below it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

1A2 key system. So unlike a Panasonic PBX, this wont switch calls or produce dial tone. It will operate the lamps on any type of 1A2 phone though. Looks to be equipped for 8 lines. I have a spare power supply if it isn't there but it likely is.

Terry

oldguy

Thanks Terry. Like you said, the power supply is probably there but I haven't been down there to check on the power supply yet. maybe Friday.
Gary

AE_Collector

These were very modularized versions of 1A2 equipment likely to keep installation labour time lower. The ksu has a connectorized cable on it that plugs straight into the power pack. I think each power supply could deal with about four ksu's.

With the built in 66 blocks nothing had to be cabled out, just hang the ksu and a power supply (if needed) on the wall and you were ready to start cross connecting the lines to set runs.

If you have interest in 1A2 or even think you might one day you should grab it. Make sure no lines are still connected to it but I don't see any jumpers at all, someone cleaned that part up. Also, the 66 block immediately to the right of the ksu is or was an intercom system connection block. If it has a 25 pair on it see where it goes. Probably to a little electronic intercom with a single Amphenol connector. You will need it too! Not need as in to make the ksu work...need as in more to play with!

Terry

oldguy

Thanks Terry, I have 4 key phones, so I will grab it if I the power supply is there.
Gary

AE_Collector

The power supply I have is maybe 12" wide, 10" high and protrudes 8-10" out from the wall. All give or take a bit, I haven't looked at it for awhile. And, it has a gray plastic housing.

Terry

poplar1

79B power supply has sockets for 4 panels (max. 32 lines)
90B has 10 sockets (up to 80 lines)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Ahh, good to know. I was fairly certain that mine had 4 sockets in it. I didn't know there was a larger one available. The cords on the ksu's are fairly long but I wonder if the made an extension cord for them especially where an installation had the larger power pack but there was no space left to mount an additional ksu that was close enough to the power pack.

Terry

oldguy

Gary

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 29, 2018, 06:28:34 PM
Ahh, good to know. I was fairly certain that mine had 4 sockets in it. I didn't know there was a larger one available. The cords on the ksu's are fairly long but I wonder if the made an extension cord for them especially where an installation had the larger power pack but there was no space left to mount an additional ksu that was close enough to the power pack.

Terry

Yes, they did make an extension cord for the 620 Panel. The 620 Panels also had covers on them, but they almost never remained installed (if they ever were). I found only one installation at Ga. Tech with 2 covers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

oldguy

Is this the power supply? Is the blue box part of the system?
Gary