News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Subsets... How High?

Started by bingster, September 08, 2010, 05:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

The Bell System was famous for it's attention to the minutest detail.  For example, steel box wall phones were to be mounted with the center of the mouthpiece 56.5 inches from the floor.  Not 56 inches, not 57 inches, but 56 and a half inches. ::)

Given that sort of thing, there must have been some rule about how high to mount a subset on a wall.  Has anybody seen any official mounting height stated for this? 
= DARRIN =

KeithB

I was looking through the older C31 BSP documents at TCI's site last night, and in the candlestick days, they recommended mounting the subsets near the baseboard, if I recall correctly.  It was surprising to see mounting brackets drawn attached to desks and furniture, presumably for the (testing my feeble memory here, I'm probably wrong) 211 sets.

Wallphone

I thought that I read some where in the BSP's that if you mount the subset to a desk it should be a desk that is not to be moved. They also make a bracket for the subsets for mounting it on the older large
baseboards.
Dougpav

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on September 08, 2010, 05:43:09 AM
The Bell System was famous for it's attention to the minutest detail.  For example, steel box wall phones were to be mounted with the center of the mouthpiece 56.5 inches from the floor.  Not 56 inches, not 57 inches, but 56 and a half inches. ::)

Uncanny!  Maybe I'm strange, but when I read this, I had to get out a tape measure and check the height of my hotel phone.  Then I had to get a picture.  I'm not cheating either, I made sure the tape measure was straight up and touching the floor.  When I mounted it, I only used the "by guess and by golly" method to judge the height.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Sure, yeah, sure.  I notice you only show one end of the tape measure!  But,  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.  :)

-Bill G

Greg G.

Just for you Bill, I reshot the picture from farther back.  Plus one outtake from when the timer went off before I was ready.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

= DARRIN =

HarrySmith

Me too, the Pink phone looks nice :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

I say it's all done with Photoshop.    ;D

I did check it out by downloading the photo and zooming in.  He is spot on.  Good work Greg!

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 09, 2010, 12:05:15 PM
I say it's all done with Photoshop.    ;D

Believe you me, I couldn't have made that face even if I tried.  I have to admit, it cracked me up when I saw it.  At least you know what the words *%$#@! look like!
Quote from: Phonesrfun on September 09, 2010, 12:05:15 PM

I did check it out by downloading the photo and zooming in.  He is spot on.  Good work Greg!

You can zoom in right here by clicking on the photo, then clicking on it again to enlarge it.  I pretty much just mounted it so that the mouth piece was high enough to speak into it w/o bending over or having to lift my head.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

it looks like you were sneezing haha. I like the pink too
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010