News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay find: Northern Electric Magnaphone Junior Model R4B

Started by ....., February 29, 2016, 01:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I won this Northern Electric Magnaphone Junior Model R4B on eBay Feb. 22/16. eBay item # 141904902886
I ended up paying $22.50 USD - $31.13 CDN plus $12.45 USD - $17.23 CDN for Shipping
Grand total was $34.95 USD - $48.36 CDN

Northern-Electric-Substation-Magnaphone-Junior-Model-R4B

I have no idea of it's age, but I'm guessing 1940's.
It is 10-3/4" long x 6-1/2" high and 6-1/4" wide and is about 4 lbs.

I found some pictures of radios with the same case from Northern Electric on line. I attached pictures of them as well for comparison.

Doug

Last Edit: Today at 11:09:06 PM  Corrected Cost amount.

TelePlay

Yes, seems to be an extension speaker with a volume control, probably just a variable pot.

Seems they used a Northern Electric Baby Champ 5000 radio chassis, cabinet and speaker, Here is the radio front with it's radio tube side chassis.

The R4B chassis image you posted has all of the holes for the tubes, caps, etc but it is quite empty. The Champ radio is listed as being sole in 1946 and 1947.

I believe this one was used as an intercom system. The switch on this one is a momentary with spring. Push down to talk let go and listen, Maybe? On the back just above the screws with A B C you can see the letters R C B in pencil. The label on the back calls it a Substation, Northern Electric Magnaphone Junior

The top three pictures are mine the bottom three are radios from the internet.

Doug

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on February 29, 2016, 08:46:26 PM
I believe this one was used as an intercom system. The switch on this one is a momentary with spring. Push down to talk let go and listen, Maybe? On the back just above the screws with A B C you can see the letters R C B in pencil. The label on the back calls it a Substation, Northern Electric Magnaphone Junior

The top three pictures are mine the bottom three are radios from the internet.

Doug

That makes more sense. Was thinking how the would handle ring voltage if it was a phone extension speaker.

So does the momentary switch. It must have had an amp somewhere else, at the main intercom console.

This one is also a magnaphone, but a different model It is an R6A.
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=8675

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on February 29, 2016, 09:24:28 PM
This one is also a magnaphone, but a different model It is an R6A.

That looks like the main console, multiple remote intercom connections and a line cord to power the amp inside.