News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beautiful Kellogg Push to Talk Metal Red Bar

Started by Doug Rose, January 02, 2015, 02:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have been looking for one of these for a while, but the cases are always cracked. Can't crack this .....its metal!! It cleaned up beautifully. It was advertised as bakelite but by examining the cradle I though it was metal. Paint is just amazing. This is very cool. I love the Redbars, but this is just the one I have been waiting for, the push to talk or dial. You do not see many of them...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121526656300
Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug, what is the function of the Push to Talk lever? How is it used?

unbeldi

It's more commonly found on the wall-mounted version of this model. Nice.  It's for party line service, so the caller can check first to ascertain the line is not in use, before dialing. 

Dennis Markham

Doug, that is a very nice looking, stylish phone.  Great buy!

Doug Rose

thanks guys...I've been looking for a long time.

As Karl said, it was for a Party Line so I am going to leave the original frequency ringer. This does not ring, but I want it to be accurate. ...thanks to all....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Doug;
Great find, you didn't buy it you stole it.
I really don't understand the concept of push to dial/talk ?
What happens when you lift the receiver off the hook, is the phone dead ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

Before pushing the button, one could monitor the line and hear either an idle line, talking, ringback or dial pulses. One would hear dial tone only if someone else had gone off hook and pushed the talk button, but had not begun dialing.

You can duplicate the idle line condition on any WE/NE 302, AE 40, Kellogg 1000, or SC 1243 by temporarily removing the transmitter. In fact, that's a good test of the secondary circuit. With the transmitter disconnected, the receiver is in series with a capacitor and the central office doesn't see the phone as off-hook. Installer/repairman butt sets have a monitor/talk key which in monitor position is like this phone before pushing the talk button. That's probably how Captain Beefheart was able to answer the phone before it started ringing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice phone, Doug! Paint is in really terrific shape!

What is the ratio of Bakelite to metal Redbars out there? Which version is considered more rare?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

AFAIK, metal housings on Kellogg 1000 Masterphones are nowhere mentioned in the catalogs and brochures.  The 1000s were supposedly introduced in 1947, and even the brochures of that year mention that 200-ton presses are used to mold the resin.

Roger Conklin, who worked for Kellogg for a long time and wrote an article on the Redbars for the TCI Singing Wires, didn't mention their existence either.

It's hard to imagine that metal housings were introduced later, as the entire industry moved away from metal housings to plastics because of the cost advantages.  WECo stopped producing them in 1942. Kellogg had produced telephones from Bakelite already in the 1930s, the 700-series, 900-series, all were made from phenol resins, and all are most often chipped or broken when found today.
It is rather rare to find a metal 1000-series, I would say, I have only one of four or five 1000-series sets.

Perhaps the metal cases were special-order items for use in rough environments or the military, but I have found no references to that effect. I also don't recall seeing any special markings on the metal versions.

The standard version with dial is a D-1000, while the Doug's sample here is a D-1001 indicating the press-to-talk switch. Following this, the model would have the ringer specification added, for example D-1001-HA2 for a 50 Hz harmonic ringer.

Doug Rose

Here is a metal redbar that had a magneto. It was retrofitted at the factory with an almost new base. Paint was horrible. I have it on eBay this week. ..Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301441205362
Kidphone

Waterland

I love those push to talk red bars.  My "phone guy" who operates an antique and collectible telephone retail shop and repair service actually has quite a few of these for sale in his shop.  Party line service was probably more common around my area though which is probably why he has so many.

Kenton K

Does anybody have a diagram for a push to talk 500 type set? I have a north with 500 type wiring that I'm not sure how to get to work.

KK

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Kenton K

Thanks, The diagram looks like a switch on the cradle. However, the north I have has a momentary switch on the handset.

-Ken

unbeldi

Quote from: Kenton K on January 09, 2015, 09:26:05 PM
Thanks, The diagram looks like a switch on the cradle. However, the north I have has a momentary switch on the handset.

-Ken
Then you have to examine what kind of G2 (type) handset it is.  It could also simply be a switch to control external equipment, or it could shunt the transmitter.  How many conductors does the cord have?