News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Rose Beige 202 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, March 17, 2015, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

There was discussion about a Rose Beige 202 awhile back that Dennis purchased. Well...from this auction, it sure looks as if its true. Seller also had the Nile Green AE40 from a collection he purchased from collector. This sure is a beauty...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131456446507
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Looks nice! The fingerwheel is broken and the dial card is very nasty for a "new" phone. The cords are amazing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

The paint on the receiver cap, looks like an unsprayed area. I'm a little suspicious about the paint.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Yeah, I was hesitant about the paint too. Several of the closeups show a rough finish. Lots of "orange peel". I did not think WE would paint like that.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Would there be a way to corroborate that the phone was given that color by the manufacturer?  Just curious.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

Quote from: 19and41 on March 18, 2015, 04:48:32 PM
Would there be a way to corroborate that the phone was given that color by the manufacturer?  Just curious.

I would want to see the dates on the dial and the cords.  They should be 1955, IMHO, or pretty close to it.

There are rumors that Continentals were issued in the 500-series colors, but I do not think there is a BSP for that.

Per BSPs, these were issued in black-3, ivory-4, green-19, and red-20.  However, red-53 has been observed too.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 18, 2015, 05:05:56 PM
Quote from: 19and41 on March 18, 2015, 04:48:32 PM

I would want to see the dates on the dial and the cords.  They should be 1955, IMHO, or pretty close to it.

D4U-9 cord has a 3 on the restraint in the seller's photo--1953?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Unbeldi;

I don't think those are the only colors they came in. Dennis Markham's collection seems to show more colors, including Rose Beige...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7302.msg81740#msg81740
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

Well, whoever did it did a fine job indeed. At the very least a collector who knew what he should use. I also wouldn't dismiss the phone if the cords don't match. It would make sense to replace the cords if the originals were unusable.

Kk

poplar1

Seller's description says the phone was never installed (after being refurbished), so the brown cords are like new. He just confirmed that the mounting cord is dated '53, and that both the transmitter and receiver units are dated 2-53.

However, it seems unlikely that WE would have painted a black (with groove) handset, rather than a brown (no groove) one, in 1953. By 1955, WE was painting black handsets for the Continentals and Imperials, as well as for the 302s in 500-series colors (painted handsets and molded housings).

unbeldi

The dial on that phone is a No. 6D dial with a "6" on the finger stop.

My observations of these range from 2-55 to 12-55, both on my phones.  Never seen one not from 1955. These always come with a 164A number plate.

Sargeguy

It is not NOS if it has a dial card with a number and exchange.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

No WE 202s have been found with original manufacture dates later than 1939. No Continentals or Imperials, which were distributed c. 1955-56, were new. One  could call them remanufactured, refurbished, whatever, but to call them New Old Stock is not accurate. In any case, someone may have added the number card in an attempt to "improve" the appearance.

Doug Rose

I would put a better dial card in it and place on a shelf. Not perfect, but I think it to be a real phone, refurbed by WE or one of their centers. To me, its a beauty. Same age as me, and displays much  better  ::)...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 19, 2015, 05:43:08 AM
I would put a better dial card in it and place on a shelf. Not perfect, but I think it to be a real phone, refurbed by WE or one of their centers. To me, its a beauty. Same age as me, and displays much  better  ::)...Doug

There really is no chance this phone is from 1953.  WECo was barely producing the early 500-series colors (-50 to -53) phones in 1953, and Rose Beige (-55) supposedly wasn't out until 54, but is mentioned in BSPs in 12-53.

If 1953, this would be an Old Rose (-16), no doubt, but the dial speaks loudly, IMHO.

Whether or not the phone is authentic, has to be examined on the actual unit, auction pictures alone are not reliable.