News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old phones are the best hope I win this one

Started by troydog, August 24, 2011, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

I got to say these old phones are like a deug you get one you need more and more. So I want another metal phone to replace the trimline plastic rotarty phone with wall wart in my living room.

I seen this one I am no expert on these old phones I know a 500 trimline and princess. But this looks like my 302 I got now. But then it does not the dial fingerstop looks more at the 6 o'clock mark then my 1940 302 I got now.

Here is the listing for it.
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8457820
( dead link 06-19-21 )

So what do you think it is dial just looks wrong to me but might be the sticker on it that makes it look off.

Also being I got 1 302 now will 2 of them on one line be to much power for the ringer. I have no clue how much power are local company sends for ring here.

Makes me wonder how many phones could you hook to one line before it gives out. lol Way I am going I might keep buying all types of phones.

ESalter

You're right, this one appears to have an Automatic Electric dial, their dials had the 0 straight down like that.  Still a nice phone for $20.00, metal 302s usually sell for a lot more than that.   ---Eric

Wallphone

That phone has an AE dial in it which to most people including myself is less desirable than a Western Electric dial. But it looks like it has a metal housing so I would jump on it for $20. You can always find a WE #5 dial for it later. It looks like Eric beat me to the punch but I agree with what he said.
Doug Pav

Tom B

I would rip the seller's arm off for a metal 302 for 20 clams. ;D
Tom

Sargeguy

If it has an AE dial ts probably a 251.   I would not pay too much more than $20.  It is not exactly in pristine condition.  You can pick up a similarly dinged up metal body 302 off eBay for $30-40 with the correct dial and ringer and no annoying sticker residue to deal with, or $3 handling fee.  I have a couple metal bodied manual 304s from the 40s that are collecting dust.  They may be missing a few parts and the cords may be crappy, but if anyone wants them, $20 each.   I also have a fairly complete metal 251 with harmonic ringer and AE handset with a 5H dial for $30.  PM if interested. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

It might be a military set so an AE type dial would not be out of place if this is true
Robby

Sargeguy

True, but would a military phone have the "fire police help" sticker, that seems like a civilian thing to do?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

troydog

I did read a little about the 302 military set. Not up on the military stuff but would a military phone be issused for a family in the military back then?

Also looked up the area code if that had not changed over the years I found this info.
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NY/Airfields_NY_Rochester.html

I hope I win this one. I love the 302 metal I got now it is in my bedroom by the bed. So this one will be for the family room. I will add a 15 foot cloth lone cord so it can reach from the sofa to the other end of the room.

Aslo reading more about the 302 military set I seen it had rubber end on the handset to seal the cord. This one also looks to have that by the photos. OR was that type of cord sold back then for any phones?

paul-f

Also, Rochester Telephone was an independent that routinely used gear from WE, Stromberg Carlson (made in Rochester) and AE.  They could have added the dial.

Since there are no photos of the bottom or mounting code, we are left to guesses until someone wins the phone and can inspect it closer.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line