"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A haul of NOS WE 500s on E-Bay

Started by McHeath, October 19, 2009, 11:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

This would be a sweet prize:

http://tinyurl.com/yj82z26 ( dead link 08-04-21 )

Phonesrfun

I noticed that auction too.

I joined the Oregon Air National Guard in 1972 and went to Air Force Tech school in ground radio repair.  At that time, the guard and the Air Force both were loaded to the gills with 500 and 565 sets.  All were Western Electrics that were supplied by the Air Force directly from Western Electric.

The back room had several cases of these, just like pictured, all in boxes ready to go.  Being in ground communications, we had lots of phones.  While telephones per se were not my Air Force "specialty", hooking them up and interfacing them to the radio equipment was.

It really does not surprise me that there were boatloads of these lying around for someone to pick up surplus years later. 

When military Autovon came out with DTMF (touch-tone) access, the rotary dial phones in the military were fast outdated.  Autovon was and still is a proprietary and secure military communications system.  The military ran most of its tactical and higher priority business over the Autovon system and did not use the commercial telephone network.  I can only imagine what technology and computers and digital communications had done to upgrade all that even further.

I noticed that with TV interviews of recent White House appointees, most of the higher ups have two phones on their desk.  One commercial and one secure that has the Autovon DTMF dial.  The Autovon dial has a fourth column of numbers for selecting priority and security that the standard touch tone dial does not have.

It is interesting to see the History Channel and their disclosures of now declassified hardened cold war communications facilities.

My stuff was all as a run of the mill week-end warrior, so it is now interesting to kind of go back in time and imagine what all was happening behind the scenes.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

For what its worth, a link to something that explains Autovon phones:

http://home.att.net/~wd0giv/Autovon.html

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Personally, I think he may have gotten  more for them individually.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

If I won them, I would post them individually over a few weeks time, and most likely double the investment.
I would like one of them, but not eight.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Someone bought them.  The Buy It Now ended the auction.  I wondered if someone here got them.

Dan

The link I see says the auction is still going on.....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, you are correct.  I don't know what I was looking at that made me think it had ended.  Old age creepin' up on me.

JorgeAmely

Let go of the Diet Coke, Dennis.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I drink Diet coke all day long, and....Oh Never mind I forgot what I was going to say. ??? ??? ???
D/P ::)

Phonesrfun

Now I know I am in the right forum.   ::)
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Are you spiking your Diet soda with Novus 2? Don't polish and drink!!  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

AET

i guess I'm the only Sun Drop guy here.
- Tom

Dan

I love Sun Drop, I just can't get it in Cincinnati.I get it when I go down south. I drink diet dew instead. Sun Drop should be bought by Coke to compete against pepsi with their Mountain Dew. Vault/Mello Yello just don't cut it against Dew, but Sundrop would.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright