"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally, an adult sized lantern!

Started by AL_as_needed, July 08, 2017, 07:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on July 09, 2017, 04:41:24 PM
So it was Made In Hong Kong before China took it back, what would that date it at?

This will narrow it down a bit.

"The lantern division of the R. E. Dietz Company moved to Hong Kong in 1956, and all Dietz lantern production ceased in the U.S.A. in 1970.  In 1982 the Dietz lantern factory was moved from Hong Kong into China"

Also, in 1982 "The R.E. Dietz Co., LTD  factory in Hong Kong is relocated to mainland China -- Serial numbered Junior Lanterns made of solid brass are made to bolster sales (made sans post-1956 model "No. 20" marking)"

Copyright © 1997 - 2017  All Rights Reserved,  W.T. Kirkman

I don't know what "made sans post-1956" means.

So, anywhere from 1956 to 1982.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on July 09, 2017, 04:20:35 PM
Sorry . . . .

That lantern would clean up very nicely with a couple of soaks in Molasses and light pressure cleaning with Brasso. Maybe even a thin coating of linseed oil to seal the surface. Just that, a new wick and some indoor fuel and you'd be good to go, to light it. You'd be the only one on your block to have one.

I've never seen one made in China. Good to know they stamp the bottom of the tanks saying so. Takes that question out of play when looking at a lantern. I usually never pick up a newer painted lantern in an antique mall but will have to do so to see that for myself.

Not sure if i read on the kirkman site (Lanternnet.com for those looking to further the lampitis and learn some tubular....duffy...) but:

The Hong Kong made lanterns were made off the older non streamlined tooling. The air tubes have 90 degree or sharp angular curves rather than the more sweeping look of the little wizards or blizzard ones I have shown on CRPF. A look at the modern production Dietz examples vs the older ones will illustrate the point a bit better.

Quote from: TelePlay on July 09, 2017, 04:20:35 PM

That lantern would clean up very nicely with a couple of soaks in Molasses and light pressure cleaning with Brasso. Maybe even a thin coating of linseed oil to seal the surface. Just that, a new wick and some indoor fuel and you'd be good to go, to light it. You'd be the only one on your block to have one.

Keep this talk up and we would be up the a whole four members within the CRPF Lantern Underground community. Light 'em if ya got 'em  8)

TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on July 09, 2017, 07:59:18 PM
The Hong Kong made lanterns were made off the older non streamlined tooling. The air tubes have 90 degree or sharp angular curves rather than the more sweeping look of the little wizards or blizzard ones I have shown on CRPF. A look at the modern production Dietz examples vs the older ones will illustrate the point a bit better.

The original Blizard, No 2, Little Wizard type lanterns had square bended air tubes at the top and bottom. Reinforcement ridges were horizontal.

In 1936, they came out with the streamlined Little Wizard and over the next few years, did the same with the Blizzard and No 2. The streamlined tubes were at 45° at the fuel tank, still square at the top and the reinforcement ridges were 45° as well but only half way across the tube and countering each other.,

When they moved to Hong Kong, they only shipped the square tube top and bottom machines keeping the streamlined tools in New York.

They stopped making the streamline versions of the No 2 and Blizzard in New York in 1957.

So, anything stream lined had to have been made in the US and before 1957 except for the No.8 Air Pilot which they began to produce in New York using the tooling from the No 2 and Blizzard lines, no longer being made.

I think that's why all those nice new shiny lanterns sold today, made in China, have the square tubes top and bottom, as does Duffy's.

Also, anything square tube top and bottom (Blizzard, Wizard or No 2 D-Lite) that is not factory paint has to be date stamped pre-1936. Stream lined of the same lanterns would be dated about '38 to the early 50s when they stopped stamping air tubes. And everything streamlined was in made in the US before 1958.

I'm sure there might be an exception but the above is from the Dietz Company history.

AL_as_needed

So getting back to the blizzard....

Started the whole POR-15 process yesterday and it was pretty painless. The inside of the tank was very clean, just the crimp was weak/cracked where there was damage to the tank. That being the case, I forwent the whole sash chain step and went right for degreasing and application. 

POR-15 is quite the substance. It has the look of liquid metal and seems to need very regular mixing to keep it from separating. I taped up the bottom edge of the tank and carefully ladled it in with a large plastic spoon. After  a five minute "rolling" the tank was well coated all around. I am on day two  of the curing phase (yes it still stinks) but seems to have really filled in the tank seam area. Cant wait to test it again!
TWinbrook7

AL_as_needed

Was going through my project threads and realized I have been neglectful on a few fronts. Now that the snow and the holidays are behind us, figured I play catch-up.

So... The POR-15 treatment went very well. three coats over about a week and a half period sealed the tank. The long dry time on POR-15 is no exaggeration, nor is the smell (its rough stuff), but worth it! Two coats of the trusty BLO/spirits mixture allowed to cure added the final touch locking out ambient moisture. Since the initial completion of work on the Blizzard, it has served very well both inside and out in a wide range of weather condition..... I love my lanterns but still used them as they were made to be used from time to time.  8)

This lantern was clearly designed to throw a lot of light and it does a great job at illuminating a medium sized room with stout flame. Last two pictures are of a hooded reflector fitted over the lantern. A new production item (thanks WT Kirkman!) intended to throw light down below the lantern that is normally wasted on the ceiling, effectively turning the lantern into a perfect hanging light for a table or desk. 
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

For a moment I thought one of the pictures showed the lantern sat upon a Laserdisc or similar, then realised it was the reflector......... ;D

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 02, 2018, 08:44:47 PM
For a moment I thought one of the pictures showed the lantern sat upon a Laserdisc or similar, then realised it was the reflector......... ;D

Now that you mention it, I can totally see that.... The tooling marks even look like the texture of a Laserdisc.  ;D 
TWinbrook7