News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose Beige Stromberg Carlson 1543 Help --Thanks Stub!

Started by Dan, December 17, 2010, 10:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Ok stub. I got the capacitor.  It is the 1mfd @250v.

I put the ringer black to L1 and paired it up with the L1  green . Then I took off the red wire  from the coil that was attached to the bumble bee and used a clip to combine it to the capacitor on one side . Then I took the other wire off the capacitor and put it on c-2.

Your last statement was " L2 and c-2 are connected in the network."  Does this mean I make a jumper wire from L2 to C-2? I am unsure about this.  It  still doesn't ring yet.

Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stub

Dan,
         Let's bypass the telephone.  Take your line in cord ,red and green wire, loose from phone network, the green is hooked to black on ringer. The red wire on ringer is connected to one side of the new capacitor , the other side of new capacitor will go to the red line in cord. If the ringer coil is not open , it should ring when called from cell.
         If it won't ring after this,  the ringer coil maybe open. We can check that next if you have a ohm meter. My ringer coil,disconnected ,ohms out at 5.89 k ohms.
                                                                                                                        stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Dan,
       What are the numbers on your network , below the Stromberg-Carlson logo ?  Mine is - 210640  RA        stub 
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Mine are the same  numbers as yours stub, 210640 RA , dated 1-58
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stub

Dan,
Did it ring with the ringer isolated from network?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

stub

Dan,
          If this is what you ended up with and it didn't ring ,then the line cord is bad or ringer coil is open or new capacitor is open.
           You could remove the cloth cover on the coil and see if you can see a broken wire where the black and the red wires are connected to the ringer windings.  Anyway that's about all I can do from here. Don't throw away either one . They can be repaired!!!    That's all that is left.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Fantastic pic, I am going to copy exactly what you did here and retry it tonight and report back.. Thanks for all your help, I REALLY appreciate it! 8)

stub

Dan,
        You are very welcome!!!! We will get it fixed one way or another....stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Stub, I wired it your way, assuming the red and green go out to the plug into the wall. No movement on the clapper. Touching the clapper with my finger reveals very slight vibration. Do I take a little razor blade to the coil and remove the black cover and see if the copper wires of the coil are broken or fried or shorted?

stub

Dan,
       Hold off on the razor!!!!!! Try this first . See how much movement the clapper has with the spring removed. You should get about 5/16" movement using your finger.  I have seen them with trash in them and not move.  On your ringer ,the 3 screws on the bottom of ringer assy, can be loosened and move the coil away from the clapper pivot to increase the gap, with the spring still loose. You need about 1/16" or less of a  gap. Then when we get the clapper moving , you can readjust the bells. Hope this helps.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Dan,
       Sorry , I guess I'm blind!!!!!!! Go back to the above pic and bend in the bias spring retainer( tab ) like mine. I never noticed yours bent out so far. Bend yours in till the clapper rests gently against the left hand bell. Just tight enough to keep it from tapping when you dial from another phone. Sorry I never noticed it.  
       If it still doesn't ring give me a call or pm your number and I'll call you, at your convenience of course.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dan

Stub, after bending the tab in, the spring has less tension and it rings. It wasn't an electrical issue at all, just "mechanical". I will clean the housing and post pictures, since I know  wESTERN eLECTRIC rose beige 500's are popular and rose beige 1543 S-C's are seldom seen.

tHANKS!!!!! :D ;D :)

Dan

Here's the finished phone. It is a mix-the housing is soft tenite, the handset is ABS hard plastic, and the numbers plate is painted metal. The handset is a little larger than a WE500 and almost feels like an F-1 WE.

1)  1958 Stromberg Carlson in Rose Beige

2)  Comparison to a  1956 WE500 Rose Beige

Bingles

I have one of these in green also.  They are great phones.  Mine sits on my nightstand... and when it rings, it scares the heck out of me!  If I ever slip into a coma, just call and it will snap me out of it.  :D