News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mercado Libre

Started by Tribune, August 24, 2010, 10:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

Sure some of you are aware of this site already . . . but if you're Spanish is up to it, or you have a good on-line translator then there's a huge number of relatively well priced phones to be had on this South American version of eBay. http://www.mercadolibre.com/

I searched around on the Argentine site using the search term "teléfono antiguo" - antique telephone - and got over 700 hits. Prices are quoted in the currency of the country-specific site.
For example this really neat bakelite magneto set was marked at 300 pesos = US$76

The listing is at: http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-92934243-antiguo-telefono-a-magneto-de-baquelita-y-con-disco-_JM

I think I may be feeding my addiction for odd phones with some quality South American product!

Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

LarryInMichigan

I have looked at those sites.  There are separate ones for a number of countries.  Shipping to the USA or Canada will likely be very expensive, and many sellers may not be willing to ship.  Also, you will probably have no recourse if an item never arrives or arrives in thousands of pieces.  There sure are alot of very intersting phones there though.  There is also a similar site in South Africa: www.bidorbuy.co.za, but the same caveats apply there as well.

Larry

Wallphone

Part of the description translated. - "In very good condition, only has a couple of cachaduras in two corners, as shown in photos" ---
"Cachaduras" are cracks in the corners. I like that word. It sounds like it would go good with salsa.
I think that I'll start using it in my eBay auctions.
Dougpav

Tribune

I guess buyer beware really applies here.  May be better off actually going on a holiday there to see what you can pick up. My wife has always said she wants to visit Argentina  ;)
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"