News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grumpy people, no new posts...need some happy...here are a couple old phones

Started by RB, August 25, 2017, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have a friend who's family is from a small German town in south central Texas.
I have seen it once. the barn still had the harnesses and tredmills used on horses to turn the saw mill.
Everything on the farm, was made on the farm. Very interesting.
Fast forward, they sold it, and he brought me these two phones.
Is this first one your beloved AE 40?
No model so guessing here.

rdelius

RB

Thanks for the reply. GTE is the old co for this area.
Is there a big diff between a 40 and an 80? I know jilch about CB phones...
So, here is what I call the pretend phone. don't know anything about this one...
any ideas?

RotarDad

That is a model 2500, made recently ( I think that 10/08 is an October 2008 date code).  ITT was one of the licensees of Western Electric designs dating back to the 50's, I believe.  This is a copy of the Western Electric 2500, made by Cortelco (a division if ITT) in the good ole USA.  I believe Cortelco still makes landline phones, but I don't think they are made in the US anymore.  Of course, the 2500 was made by the millions, and was everywhere in the 1980s..... ;)

The cool thing is that this basic design has its roots in the WE rotary model 500, introduced in 1949.  The base plate, hookswitch and positioning of the dial, ringer, and network are 500 designs, and the G-handset is basically the same.  The big differences are the newer net design, and the touch tone dial and related change to the case.  Amazing design longevity.
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on August 25, 2017, 12:16:57 PM
That is a model 2500, made recently ( I think that 10/08 is an October 2008 date code).  ITT was one of the licensees of Western Electric designs dating back to the 50's, I believe.  This is a copy of the Western Electric 2500, made by Cortelco (a division if ITT) in the good ole USA.  I believe Cortelco still makes landline phones, but I don't think they are made in the US anymore.  Of course, the 2500 was made by the millions, and was everywhere in the 1980s..... ;)

I think it went Kellogg, Kellogg-ITT, ITT, Cortelco.
Kellogg and Kellogg-ITT  G style handsets are slightly different than a WE G handset. The difference is in the curve at the end of the handset.
I don't know if the ITT and Cortelco sets used the Kellogg style G or the WE style G.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: RotarDad on August 25, 2017, 12:16:57 PM
The big differences are the newer net design....  Amazing design longevity.
Although ITT, S-C and NECo all produced networks constructed on printed circuits for manufacturing economy the circuit design is fundamentally the same as the WECo 425B with very minor modifications in some cases.  Even many Trimline and Trimline descendants use the 425B network circuit.

RotarDad

Jim - You are right that Kellogg was the original company that was purchased by ITT in 1951.  For many years, both names were used.  You sometimes see Ebay sellers call a dual-named 500 a "Kitt" phone due to the case logo on that era's 500s.

Alex - Thanks for the details on the network.  I didn't realize the newer nets were basically the same electrically.  The newer components just didn't need the box with the potting material?
Paul

andre_janew

It seems like the 2500 phones are still being made today.  Am I right about this?  Are they still being made?

twocvbloke

Seems so, saw a Cortelco 2500 with a date of 11/16 (I presume that's November 2016) on ebay recently:

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 28, 2017, 06:10:12 PM
Seems so, saw a Cortelco 2500 with a date of 11/16 (I presume that's November 2016) on ebay recently:

You can buy direct from the factory in Corinth Mississippi (you may have to buy a large quantity, don't know)

This is their current product line (14 categories plus 1 legacy - discontinued - phone groups). Scroll down to see the desk and wall phones at this, the Basic Phone link.

Everything one could want in a DTMF phone is listed there, except rotary dial phones.