News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 3rd payphone

Started by Greg G., June 13, 2014, 01:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

They're after me, I swear, I'm not seeking out payphones, but they keep crossing my path!  Got this one as a lot of 9 phones at an estate sale today.  Not all payphones, this was the only one, the rest were a mix of some interesting and not-so-interesting phones, but I bought the entire lot anyway.  (Make an offer on all of them and wave cash, people tend to bend easier on the price, amazing how that works!) 

I have no idea what exactly it is or who makes it, but it fully functions as a payphone, I checked it out.  Works just by plugging it in to the phone line, no external power source needed.  So I'll leave it up to y'all to tell me more about this thing.  I had a video demonstrating the phone, but when I viewed it, I realized my home phone number was visible, not a good thing to plaster on the internet, so I'll have to redo it being more careful the next time.  Meanwhile, I have a few stills.

Fully functions as a payphone like I said, but it's locked to the base and there are no keys to that lock or the cash drawer (but the cash drawer is unlocked).  I guess I'll have to take it to a locksmith if I want keys for it. 

When you make a call, you dial the number, and the display asks you to deposit 35ยข.  It then dials the number, which is  displayed on the screen.  When they answer, if you push the button to talk, the coins drop into the cash drawer.  If you don't push the silver button and hang up, the coins go into the coin return chute in front.  Pretty cool!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Ok, so this is your first example of a COCOT payphone. It is a similar style to my Pregnant Pink Beluga, but much better looking ;D

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11992.msg127373#msg127373

Though yours is newer than the one I got in my batch from Ontario, they work on the same principal. They do not require a coin line. A microprocessor is inside, handling the pay operations, and a rate table on Eprom holds the rate table to determine charges.

The voice is also contained on board on another Eprom and guides you through the process.

In the case of mine, which has no display, voice announcements tell you how much to insert.

As you say, the button signals the phone that the call has gone through - once depressed, it will drop the coins to the box and connect you to the other party so you can talk. Until you press the button, you can't talk to them, but you can hear them.

These were commonly used in restaurants and bars and were customer owned, customer  operated (hence the name COCOT).

With regard to your lock, remove it and take it into your local building supply store. It uses what looks to be a standard cabinet lock, and there is a good chance you will be able to pick one up there for a few $ including two keys.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 13, 2014, 04:44:22 AM

With regard to your lock, remove it and take it into your local building supply store. It uses what looks to be a standard babinet lock, and there is a good chance you will be able to pick one up there for a few $ including two keys.

Dave

The cash drawer shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering how to get at the lock that holds it to the base.  While examing the back, I discovered a third lock that I'm not sure what it's for.  It looks like you need some sort of special tool to lock/unlock it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

These usually have a extra lock which is in fact a switch to put it into program mode. Without it, you can't re-program the phone. On mine, it is located on the back, above the cord. It has only two locks, the programming lock, and cash drawer lock.

I suspect your "extra" lock is for programming.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

I've looked this thing over, there's no way to get the back off w/o first removing the phone via the lock behind it, that's why it looks like they just ripped it off the wall.  One of the mounting screws they used fell out as I was examing the phone.  You can also see on the back that they really reefed on it and bent the hole out of shape.

The lock in back looks similar to a gun cabinet lock.  I'm still trying to find the manufacturer so I can google it.  I suppose it's on the bottom of the phone.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

$35 for a simple round lock? That's a bit of a swizz...  :o

Interesting that it has so many locks though, my BT "Moneybox" has only one lock which opens it when you turn it anti-clockwise, then going clockwise it sets it to Payphone mode, then to "Owner" mode (so the owner of the phone can make calls without depositing coins), and then finally Programming mode, I'd be pretty stuck if I ever lost the keys to it though!!! ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 13, 2014, 05:13:26 PM
IThe lock in back looks similar to a gun cabinet lock.  I'm still trying to find the manufacturer so I can google it.  I suppose it's on the bottom of the phone.
Know anyone with an old computer, i.e. XT, AT, 286? It looks like the tubular key which used to be on the face of them... I have a couple of them around here somewhere, but I have no idea where...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

My Olivetti P75 had one of those round locks, but no keys, so I removed it and wish I hadn't cos it looks terrible without it now... ::)

mentalstampede

Looks like the lock in a gun cabinet to me.  I bought one like it on Amazon.com not too long ago.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 13, 2014, 07:31:46 PM
...I have a couple of them around here somewhere, but I have no idea where...

Dave

Sounds like me when I'm trying to find a tool.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

At least now I know who the manufacturer is, G-Tel Enterprise Inc.  I took the cash drawer to a locksmith hoping that the same key that fits the cash drawer would also fit the other lock securing the phone to the base.  They couldn't make one because the lock itself was apparently broken.

Anyway, I resorted to prying the plastic front of the sign off and breaking it to get at the other lock.  I can easily get another plastic front made at Tap Plastics. If I can get the lock off, I won't need to cart the whole thing down to the locksmith.  I tried getting at the phone lock, but I can't believe there's not one single open-end wrench around here!  Crescent wrench is too fat to stay on the nut, and I'm not even sure an open-end wrench would work either.

- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

And now I know the model number.  I searched all over G-Tel's official site trying to find something regarding this phone and couldn't find anything.  Then I just googled the net and found something on good ol' Ebay.  Model ST-888.  Apparently it has a side cash drawer, but mine is rigged with the stand so that the cash goes into the metal cash drawer in front and by-passes the built in drawer, which isn't there on mine.  Also the lock in back of the ebay phone looks different.  I still need a programming key and a manual.

I got another plastic front for the sign from Tap Plastics, I'm just waiting on a set of thin wrenchs I ordered online (I did find some open-end wrenches in another tool box, but they're too fat and won't fit in the space where the lock is).  I visited several local hardware outlets, apparently nobody carries thin wrenches, at least not in the size I needed (7/8").  I was told by one place to try bike shops, but by then I was tired of running around, so I went home and ordered some online. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310870712298
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on June 29, 2014, 04:32:57 PM
And now I know the model number.  I searched all over G-Tel's official site trying to find something regarding this phone and couldn't find anything.  Then I just googled the net and found something on good ol' Ebay.  Model ST-888.  Apparently it has a side cash drawer, but mine is rigged with the stand so that the cash goes into the metal cash drawer in front and by-passes the built in drawer, which isn't there on mine.  Also the lock in back of the ebay phone looks different.  I still need a programming key and a manual.

I got another plastic front for the sign from Tap Plastics, I'm just waiting on a set of thin wrenchs I ordered online.  Nobody locally carries them, then they wonder why people order online instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310870712298

Try this, Briny:

http://www.nettwerked.net/model-888.txt

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on June 29, 2014, 04:51:56 PM

Try this, Briny:

http://www.nettwerked.net/model-888.txt

Dave

Awesome!  Thank You!  So the lock in the back is not for programming, just a free by-pass, which is really a moot option these days.  None-the-less, I'll keep an eye out for one anyway just to make it a complete set.
- Mike Row
e

gpo706

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 13, 2014, 07:34:16 PM
My Olivetti P75 had one of those round locks, but no keys, so I removed it and wish I hadn't cos it looks terrible without it now... ::)

Couldn't you have just removed the rear locking latch and left the face on it?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"