News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick 152AB with 685A subset wiring?

Started by jeff1876, December 28, 2016, 09:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff1876

IT WORKS!  :) 

THANK YOU poplar1 and everyone for your help.

After connecting to the subset the only other modification I had to make was to connect the Blue jumper from L1 on the terminal strip to RR on the network (it was connected to F).  Should I connect F on the network to anything?  The phone seems to dial, ring, and answer fine.

I also took a closer look underneath and I see the dial is marked 6C 6-57

I had a question regarding the subset.  If you look at the picture I posted earlier, there seems to be a rivet keeping the ringer adjustment from moving.  Is this common?  Was it used just to make sure the ringer was never turned off?

Quote from: andre_janew on December 28, 2016, 06:44:22 PM
I  had no idea that Western Electric was making subsets in 1978!  I'm surprised someone found one that new!

Just to properly document my rare ;) "new" 685A subset I have attached a photo of the back.

Thank you,

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff....it is a great feeling when you make one of these oldies but goodies work...congrats. Welcome to the Forum, it's a great place for people who like phones.

And collectors like David who are constantly bailing us out with his amazing knowledge. Welcome.....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: jeff1876 on December 28, 2016, 08:12:24 PM

I had a question regarding the subset.  If you look at the picture I posted earlier, there seems to be a rivet keeping the ringer adjustment from moving.  Is this common?  Was it used just to make sure the ringer was never turned off?
Jeff

These subsets were often used with 200- series pay phones. This part "locked" the ringer in the loudest setting. You can remove it if you want.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.