News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Small Collection (so far)

Started by NorthernElectric, February 27, 2015, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I don't actually consider myself a phone collector at this point, at least not in the usual sense.  My intention for now is to own a small collection of vintage phones to use.  I will not deny, however, that this could grow beyond that.

Anyway, here's what I have: 2 D1s, 1 with an E1 handset, the other with an F1, a 302, a 352, and a 684BX (got my numbers mixed up, photo name is incorrect) subset which just arrived in the mail this week to be used with one of the D1s.  These are all Northern Electric.  The D1 with the F1 handset is currently in use, wired into a 2500 base for a subset.  The 302 is also in use.  The 352 needs parts so I'm keeping my eye open for a bargain 302, maybe one with a damaged case or other cosmetic issues, for parts.  The D1 with the E1 handset which I bought last week has been tested and works, except I suspect the transmitter wire in the handset cord is broken and also the dial is a touch on the slow side.  I need to buy some cords for this phone and the others, but haven't made up my mind whether to go with repro cloth or vinyl, or vintage rubber.  For now, I am using CAT3 outdoor hookup wire for line and subset cords.  Decisions, decisions...  ::)

Cliff

tallguy58

Is all that gear Northern Electric?
Cheers........Bill

unbeldi

Collecting N.E. phones can certainly be rewarding all by itself, since some of the models they made, were never offered by Western, such as the 352 wall set.  Western Electric apparently deemed the sales volume too low and only made the party line version, the 354.-- But they did have a 252 without ringer.

I also have a 684BX subset, almost NOS, which is a nice and rare find these days, but perhaps they are more plentiful in CA.  Come to think of it... it did get mine from Canada.

Have you seen the interesting looking version of the N.E. 4H dial?

What I didn't know about though.... is the blank brass finger wheel.... LOL.   Are you sure you don't want to paint that thing in COLOR?  LIKE BRIGHT BLACK?

8)

NorthernElectric

Quote from: tallguy58 on February 27, 2015, 11:30:52 AM

All except for maybe the dial in the 302, which might be WE.  When I got the 1st D1 (the one with the F1 handset), the dial had been removed.  I was able to get a #6 dial locally, so I swapped the 5H that was in the 302 into the D1 and put the #6 in the 302.  At some point if I accumulate any spare dials suitable and period correct for the D1, I will probably put the 5H back into the 302.
Cliff

unbeldi

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 27, 2015, 11:48:23 AM
Quote from: tallguy58 on February 27, 2015, 11:30:52 AM

All except for maybe the dial in the 302, which might be WE.  When I got the 1st D1 (the one with the F1 handset), the dial had been removed.  I was able to get a #6 dial locally, so I swapped the 5H that was in the 302 into the D1 and put the #6 in the 302.  At some point if I accumulate any spare dials suitable and period correct for the D1, I will probably put the 5H back into the 302.

It's probably easy to distinguish an NE dial, because they didn't stamp the type on the casing with ink, but it was molded or engraved into the casing, IIRC.

PS:   looking at some pictures of N.E. 4H dials in my archives, it seems they used to stamp them with ink like W.E. at least up to a certain time. I have 4H pictures with ink and embossed or engraved.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on February 27, 2015, 11:46:43 AMWhat I didn't know about though.... is the blank brass finger wheel.... LOL.   Are you sure you don't want to paint that thing in COLOR?  LIKE BRIGHT BLACK?

If I decide at some point to completely restore the phone I would certainly paint the finger wheel.  It looks like it was stripped quite some time ago and for the most part has a nice patina.  Though not original, the aged brass look is not unappealing to the eye and the stripping of the paint is part of the phones history.  It does have some verdigris spots on it that detract from the appearance that I will try and clean off, though.  If I end up disturbing the patina on the rest of the finger wheel or make shiny spots, then I will repaint it for that reason also.
Cliff

WesternElectricBen

Cliff, you have a very nice collection. Good luck!

Ben

NorthernElectric

Quote from: unbeldi on February 27, 2015, 11:46:43 AMHave you seen the interesting looking version of the N.E. 4H dial?

I've spent the last 10 minutes looking for photos but none of the ones I found looked unusual in any way.  But I'm probably too green to spot subtle differences.   :)

Quote from: unbeldi on February 27, 2015, 11:58:46 AMPS:   looking at some pictures of N.E. 4H dials in my archives, it seems they used to stamp them with ink like W.E. at least up to a certain time. I have 4H pictures with ink and embossed or engraved.

Then I checked the forum again and saw that you added this PS.  Is the embossing/engraving of the number plate what you were referring too in the previous comment?  If so, then no I haven't seen any yet.  My local old phone guy might have examples so I will try to remember to ask next time I go see him.
Cliff

Mr. Bones

Very nice collection, Cliff.

I like NE phones quite a bit, and have a goodly number of them.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on February 27, 2015, 11:58:46 AM
It's probably easy to distinguish an NE dial, because they didn't stamp the type on the casing with ink, but it was molded or engraved into the casing, IIRC.

PS:   looking at some pictures of N.E. 4H dials in my archives, it seems they used to stamp them with ink like W.E. at least up to a certain time. I have 4H pictures with ink and embossed or engraved.

The terminals are completely different in NE 4H-type dials. The NE dial eliminates the soldered wires going from the contact springs to the terminals.

Here is a NE  Bill posted a while back:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6842.msg78182#msg78182

The second picture shows a WE 4H.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Yes, that's what I was referring to in my post.