News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Dad's 40 Years with Illinois Bell and his "Collection"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This box looks like it might be a stamp kit, similar to one I have.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 12:16:38 PM
If Anita is buying....go for a Deluxe rather than Plain ticket! Couldn't resist, I find myself stumbling over plain and plane lately too...lots of other words too come to think of it.

See you in Illinois!

Terry

Ok funny guy, happy now?  :D  Problem is how to get whatever I buy back and keep the shipping cost down.  I've only got my two days off anyway.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:17:35 PM
As long as it contains what is says it does (R2315), it is a stamp kit. I have one of these, too. Or is that a photo of your kit? The R2315 is the same as Neuses N2315. Both were manufactured by Neuses, To me, the box in her photo doesn't look the same as the photo below it.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
Ok funny guy, happy now?  :D  Problem is how to get whatever I buy back and keep the shipping cost down.  I've only got my two days off anyway.

You know me, cant resist an opportunity like that AND can't spell to save my life!

You drive a bus don't you....have 2 days off.... need BIG transportation solution....would like to take other CRPF'ers along with you....HHmmmm

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on November 18, 2012, 12:39:59 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:17:35 PM
As long as it contains what is says it does (R2315), it is a stamp kit. I have one of these, too. Or is that a photo of your kit? The R2315 is the same as Neuses N2315. Both were manufactured by Neuses, To me, the box in her photo doesn't look the same as the photo below it.

The R2315 is mine.  My only comparison is that the box in her picture appears to be the same size and shape, but it could be something else entirely.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I'd be willing to help sort and take pictures just for the thrill of it.  I think I could talk Anita into it if I take her along, she loves adventures as much as I do.  The reality though, is time off work, travel and lodging.  I have plenty of comp time to use, she doesn't.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Maureen;
I assume your Dad has passed, may I extend my condolences.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 12:47:38 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
Ok funny guy, happy now?  :D  Problem is how to get whatever I buy back and keep the shipping cost down.  I've only got my two days off anyway.

You drive a bus don't you....have 2 days off.... need BIG transportation solution....would like to take other CRPF'ers along with you....HHmmmm

Terry

Believe me, you don't want to ride in a city bus all the way to Chicago!  The seats aren't built for long hauls, not even the driver's seat!
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 18, 2012, 05:19:33 PM
Maureen;
I assume your Dad has passed, may I extend my condolences.
D/P

Ditto.  What years did he work for Illinois Bell?
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Greg

Don't you think someone will notice a Seattle Metro bus missing, let alone chugging around Chicago?   :)
-Bill G

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 11:15:56 AM
Generally the earliest phones were Magneto. These phones have a crank to signal the operator to come on the line to put your call through and they are frequently made of wood but there are newer metal, Bakelite and even plastic variety's.

Then came Manual or Common Battery Phones such as the ones you are showing here. No need for the crank, just pick up and the operator comes on the line. There were still some wooden ones but more commonly plastic and Bakelite phones as well as Candlestick phones.

Then came Automatic or Dial phones where you make the call yourself without an operators help. Later came the change from dial to push buttons. Wood was almost gone by this time frame but not completely and Bakelite or plastic continued to become the popular choice of materials.

Your father may have removed the phones shown from service when he installed newer dial phones for customers. What years did he work and did he work for Illinois Bell? Any idea what job classifications he did over his 40 years with them?

Terry

Hi Terry, He worked for IL Bell until 1994, he began in 1953. He began working in the manholes, he was a "splicer", then became a garage duty foreman, he then did car phones for the IL bell vehicles and the "rich" people (as he called them). Then he set up the sites for Bell Boys, Then worked with the Chicago TV networks for special events:sporting events and elections(I have memorabilia from the Democratic National convention). Then he worked on the microwave truck to shoot off the merchandise mart, horizon stadium, Hancock , sears tower etc. I actually found some wonderful pictures from my Fathers decades with IL Bell. Phones were not his only Love! He loved photography, He has fantastic pictures of IL Bell functions, work sites, Sears tower, etc. He loved working for IL Bell and I must say They were lucky to have him.
Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

UPDATE! Some pics of what I found today. It never ends! I would love to hear your thoughts. The picture #4 is bell plastic boxes filled with wires and things.
Thanks,
Maureen

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 05:58:36 PM
Greg

Don't you think someone will notice a Seattle Metro bus missing, let alone chugging around Chicago?   :)

They charter them out sometimes, Metro driver included, but only locally.  No driver in his right mind would want to drive them that far.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

More pics from today... The "luggage" is new in the box, so cool!
Maureen

MagicMo

Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 07:03:32 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 05:58:36 PM
Greg

Don't you think someone will notice a Seattle Metro bus missing, let alone chugging around Chicago?   :)

They charter them out sometimes (Metro driver included).
Actually you may need two buses, No, make that three! LOL
Maureen