News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got a push button phone

Started by foots, July 10, 2009, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

This phone is neither old nor rotary dial so I guess this is the right spot to post this. I was planning on getting either a WE or SC touchtone, but this fits in with my Signal Corps stuff a little better. I can't wait 'till is gets here.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Very cool, Foots! Is that a real Signal Corps phone?
-Matt

foots

Yes, I think it is as I've seen pictures of these before on a Signal Corps site while looking for info on my North Electric, Connecticut Telephone and Electric, and my Western Electric Signal Corps phones. This new phone I had watched on E-bay for a long while and after a couple of dead beat buyers, the lady selling it dropped the price drastically and the deal was too good to pass up. She said it worked peferctly. I'll see when it gets here.

Phonesrfun

I dunno, but.....

Would a real Signal Corps phone call itself a G.I. phone?  That is kind of slang to be on the label of a real piece of military equipment.  Also, would the Signal Corps be concerned with the FCC REN #?  

-Bill
-Bill G

bingster

That's most likely a novelty phone, in the same vein as the various "Spirit of St Louis" phones.  The features are typical residential phone features, made with big buttons and switches to give the phone a military flavor.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Just my take in general it looks like a novelty phone, especially with the "G.I. Phone" label, etc..

Foots; can you find and post a link to a picture/description of a similar phone that is real Signal Corps equipment to compare?

Not to say there is anything wrong with novelty phones, just that I would expect the quality to be much less than the real thing, and they are of course in a different collecting category.
-Matt

bwanna

this site may provide some good info on the signal corps phones.
http://tinyurl.com/yv9h83

authentic or novelty, it is a cool looking piece foots.
donna

HobieSport

I'm curious what kinds of phones the present day Signal Corps uses. I mean regular phones, not field or cell phones.  Something that would work normally in the home on a regular land line.
-Matt

rp2813

I agree, it's along the same lines as the Spirit of St. Louis phone.   My sister gave me one of those and I used it for a while.  Old timey ringer but the cheap volume adjuster for it was basically all or nothing.  I also got tired of the F1-inspired handset.  And because it was only modular on one end, you couldn't put a longer handset cord on it.  That military model has a more user-friendly looking handset.  These phones work well with compatible decorating schemes and are fun in that regard  but all of us here know they shouldn't be taken seriously as daily drivers.

Ralph
Ralph

foots

Either way, cool looking phone and dirt cheap. I'll take a good look at it once it gets here and report my findings.

EDIT: It is a novelty phone

HobieSport

Yep, I can see "Made in China" on the label.  Still, as you say, Foots, cool looking and dirt cheap, plus the speakerphone and memory features and fun buttons and switches...

I'm actually using a Chinese made push button phone as my current driver for awhile, just because I like the color at the moment...
-Matt

McHeath

QuoteI'm actually using a Chinese made push button phone as my current driver for awhile, just because I like the color at the moment...

Whoa, say it ain't so Joe. :o  We might have to vote you off the island. ;) 

I confess to pondering buying one of those Crosley imitation 500s, I'm curious to see what's inside and the whole vibe is pretty odd. 

mienaichizu

I remember seeing a Stromberg Carlson 2500 model painted in camouflage pattern (similar in the one above) in one of the gates of Malacanan Palace. (the place where the President of the Philippines lives.)

McHeath

QuoteI remember seeing a Stromberg Carlson 2500 model painted in camouflage pattern (similar in the one above) in one of the gates of Malacanan Palace. (the place where the President of the Philippines lives.)

Curious.  Ellen Degeneres uses some sort of modular 2500 on her show when she does her phone calls.  It looks like a Cortelco unit to me.