News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What dial is this?

Started by deedubya3800, September 22, 2010, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I'm thinking about buying one of these phones, both of which are Western Electrics from the '40s, but I don't recognize the dial on them, and I can't seem to find a mention of it anywhere else. Here are the pictures:

LarryInMichigan

They both look like Stromberg Carlson dials.

Larry

paul-f

I agree with Larry...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

That's what they remound me of as well, with the 0 at the 6 o'clock and all. I have to wonder about the story behind how each one became fitted with such. The black one I'm looking at needs a lot of work and some shell repair. I don't really care much for the blue one.

HarrySmith

The Blue on appears to be metal, it can be stripped and painted any color you desire ;D
The fingerwheel on the Black one does not line up properly with the numbers, maybe the crrect dial with the incorrect fingerwheel on it ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 22, 2010, 12:33:15 PM
The Blue on appears to be metal, it can be stripped and painted any color you desire ;D
The fingerwheel on the Black one does not line up properly with the numbers, maybe the crrect dial with the incorrect fingerwheel on it ???
or a stuck dial
Kidphone

Wallphone

If it is a Stromberg-Carlson dial (and I think it is)  then it probably is stuck. Most of the SC dials I have are garbage compared to WE & AE dials.
Dougpav