"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Difference between 1A- and 1C-type payphones

Started by mst269, October 02, 2012, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mst269

Hi again folks-

I've got a question about the difference between the original 1A/2A-type single-slots and the 1C/2C-type that followed- specifically, what's the difference?  I see from the BSPs that the A seems to be coin-first (probably ground-start like a three-slot) and that it has a mercury relay for... something.  The 1C-type, which I have two of, has a switchable totalizer (dial tone first or coin first) and no mercury relays. 

Is there any other difference?  For example, are the coin tones different or something, where a 1A1 or 1A2 couldn't have been in service recently on a regular coin line?  I seem to recall reading somewhere that As could only handle TSPS with operators intervening in long distance calls but when equipped with a special circuit, that C and Ds worked with ACTS?  (Certainly I know they do; I've placed long distance calls on 1D2s in service.  I'm mainly wondering about whether a 1A2 could have been on the street corner in the last 10 or so years, or if it would have been modernized when ACTS came along.)

Thanks,
Richard

mst269

Hello Paul-

Very good, answers my questions pretty well.  Thanks!

Richard