"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goofy WE TT Dial

Started by ESalter, January 22, 2013, 01:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Hi Everyone-

The other day I was swapping parts around to "back date" one of our two 2C2 panel phones.  I had an old dial assembly I wanted to put on it, but the buttons were pretty corroded.  The dial assembly that came on the panel phone is a newer EMD dial where everything plugs together.  They saved the dial assembly housing, hook switch lever, the front cover and buttons from the dial, everything else is new.   Anyway, I decided to take them both apart and put the nice buttons and dial face from the EMD rebuild dial onto the older assembly.  All went well(getting the plastic cover off the back of the actual dial was tricky, but I got it off).  I heard somewhere at some point that behind the metal buttons on a payphone dial was a plain old dial like you'd find on a 2500.  I got it all ripped apart and what did I find - a plain old dial!  I had to take and post this picture simply because of the combination of buttons.  Definitely not what I was expecting to find!

---Eric

twocvbloke

Handy if you needed to dial "999"... :D

It is an odd way to make up a dial though, you'd have thought that they would have just used a stock keypad with all the right buttons fitted, unless they had an overstock of 9 and 3 buttons, or maybe even just use blanks seeing as they're never meant to be seen anyway... :D

Dave F

Eric,

That's pretty cool.  We've all heard  that there are standard dials behind the metal buttons, but it seems that you are the first to provide the evidence in a highly entertaining way!

DF

HowardPgh

The number you have dialed 999-939-9933 is not available at this time, please press 9 for more options.
Howard