News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a GTE Fashion Plate on eBay

Started by Stormcrash, November 13, 2018, 11:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormcrash

Came across it on eBay recently after happening to search fashion plate.  At $50 I probably overpaid for it, but I was curious having never seen a GTE/AE phone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTE-Fashion-Plate-Pushbutton-Telephone-Expresso-Brown-13-Color-Facemats-/253882530867

?nma=true&si=iuUktrITwYxD1wxuAKb1AK2u6PE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On the plus it wasn't the one the seller opened to photograph so the extra face mats are still sealed.  Also wow, I'd read about how cheap the 80e was but seeing, and feeling is believing.  This thing weighs as much as wet cardboard, and almost fees made out of it too. Having sat in a warehouse for years it looks quite nice though, only flaw is a bit of the plastic on the modular line jack chipped at some point over the decades.

Pourme

~

Fashion Plate phones need a nice home, too.

That one is a excellent specimen....

Glad you added it to your collection!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Partyline4

You don't see these all that much! The rotary 80's and the starlites fill eBay most of the time. I had a few of the rotary versions of the phone you have here. Very light compared to their 60's counterparts! Great telephones that will last a lifetime - no doubt!

Stormcrash

Thanks for moving this to the correct place. Tried to see how things were done on the forum but I guess I'm still a rookie  :D

I agree Benny that all phones deserve a nice happy home. And yeah, other than the mentioned chip on the gray modular jack it's in basically mint condition. It only had a little dust on it and none of the cords were even sticky like I've seen on other phones, though the bundled line cord is discolored and stiff. 

Partyline, you're definately right about seeing lots of rotaries on eBay, especially in discolored white that's turned more ivory. That's one reason I was happy this is a brown one, plus I think brown blends in nicer with a room over pure white

dc4code

that's a cool phone!

Now you made me want one!!