News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 505C Switchboard

Started by trainman, October 27, 2016, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

I am now the owner of a 505C switchboard. Any information on this switchboard is appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

trainman

unbeldi

Well, the history on the 505 series goes back a long time.
That time started in 1907 with the first version of the 505, later designated as the 505A when the 505B was introduced in 1916.  For the 505C the world had to wait until the mid 1920s or, not long before the 506 replaced them.

I think the 505Cs were rejuvenated in the 1950s and painted green for civil defense purposes in case of total electrical blackout after a Russian attack.

trainman

Pictures

trainman

I go to pick this up and the bottom board decides to fall out. Urgh. My interest level in this just went to zero.

The top is just a metal overlay, yet i cant get it off.

Jim Stettler

I have a similar  SC copy of that board. The front "falls" sometimes. I display mine on top of a WE 555 switchboard,

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

trainman

THe bottom fell out because the board was glues up from three pieces. the glus has failed. the board the heavy front is hinged to only has two screws holding it and the next line of screws was behind the glue joint. So, after i reglue it, ill have to reattch the front with longer screws, as the screws pulled out of the wood, and ill probably add screws just ahead of the glue joint, so to give it more holding power. i dont think im tempting fate to disassemble it any further to get the other end glued. i might just force some glue into the slightly opened glue joint and leave it at that.

i hope i didnt break any wires when the front fell out.