News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cordboard cords

Started by trainman, January 21, 2017, 02:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Is there anything special about switchboard cords? Are they simple 3 conductor cloth covered wire?

I was just thinking of what one would have to do for replacements.

AE_Collector

From what I have seen, yes 3 conductor but heavier tinsel conductors with extra thick very flexible insulation on each conductor.

Terry

Victor Laszlo

A friend who is not on this forum has a bunch for sale. They have 310 plugs and are approx 6' long, used for 550, 551, 555, etc boards. If you want his contact info, let me know.

trainman

I just wanted to know if they were specially constructed. And the problem with old cords is, wether used, or not, the rubber insuation on the individual conductors is getting brittle.

Thats why i asked. But then again for a static display, or occasional use, a new 3 conductor cloth cord from oh say old phonr works wont matter. Its tranfering the plug that might be hard.

And that person has probably contacted me already. I dont need any at this time.

Victor Laszlo

The individual leads have plastic insulation, and the three leads are wrapped with a very tough but flexible outer sheath.  The ends have very small ring terminals to be attached to the TRS plug with guide-pin screws.  The plugs are attached using a special rotary tool that grips the sheath and screws the plug body onto the cord. The other end has specialized spade lugs that fit the switchboard screw terminals. There is no comparison to any other cord product, and it would be a waste of time and money to try to duplicate them with alternative products when there are so many originals available.  I have a few NOS spares from the 1980's that have not deteriorated in any way.

trainman

martyspaulding

My board cords look fine, but some of the plug insulators between segments are well worn. Is there any real problem there ? (I have not yet hooked this up. Just got it).

How difficult is it to replace just the plugs without that tool ... or where does one get one ?

Thanx.
Marty Spaulding
Kalamazoo MI