News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do I have here??

Started by barela-jennifer, June 01, 2023, 03:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barela-jennifer

Does anyone know what this is and what it is worth?

MMikeJBenN27

This looks like Ma Bell's second attempt at the Picture phone.  Might be wrong though.  It is probably worth a lot, as it failed to attract enough subscribers, just like the first attempt.

Mike

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on June 01, 2023, 04:07:35 PMThis looks like Ma Bell's second attempt at the Picture phone...

AT&T, not the second version as I know of it.

Has * and #, more in line with 1980s+ production.

Quote from: barela-jennifer on June 01, 2023, 03:42:13 PMDoes anyone know what this is...
Turn it over, is anything written on the underside? Anything written on the rear?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on June 01, 2023, 04:07:35 PMThis looks like Ma Bell's second attempt at the Picture phone.

This is WE's second attempt, the Model II Picturephone.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19307.0

FABphones

Thanks for finding that teleplay.

—-

The phone the o.p. has looks like production styling after 1980 - but more 1990s + styling to me.

Manufacturer codes from the rear and underneath will tell us more as soon as the o.p. updates this thread. I would like to see more images of the Teach Me cartridge as well.

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: FABphones on June 01, 2023, 05:22:14 PM1990s + styling

I agree.  This looks like 1990s, especially the handset and keypad.  I have never seen anything like this, and I hope we find an answer as to what it is.  Maybe a school-from-home device for disabled or sick children?  AT&T was well known for providing accommodations for them.

AT&T introduced another video phone (not called "Picturephone) in 1990s, but this is not it.  It was much smaller than the OP's device, was very expensive, plugged into a regular phone line, and had very slow frame rate.

Wade

Doug Rose

Outstanding! Great info....Doug
Kidphone

ka1axy

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 01, 2023, 06:17:05 PMOutstanding! Great info....Doug

I've been doing this computer stuff for a while...:-)

FABphones

Quote from: ka1axy on June 01, 2023, 05:51:27 PMAT&T Personal Terminal 510...

👍

Screenshot below from link above, showing side and rear views.

barela-jennifer

Here are some of the pictures you guys were asking for.

barela-jennifer

Where could i make some money off of this?

TelePlay

Quote from: barela-jennifer on June 03, 2023, 03:54:03 PMWhere could i make some money off of this?

The question is who would want to buy it. A serious collector or telephone museum are the most likely buyers, if they don't have one.

While it is "old," it's not vintage or prototype but it is uncommon and possibly incomplete (missing keyboard?).

Here is a link to a topic on the 510 posted 7 years ago which may help you with its value (and keep in mind that there may be a keyboard with this item which you seem to be missing).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17018.0

It has "modern" electrical components (ICs and capacitors) which "age" out so that would mean someone with circuit knowledge and the ability to repair/replace failing components would be needed to keep it operational, if so desired, otherwise it's only a static display as a piece of history).

Would take a niche buyer and the only way to find one, or more, is to place the item on eBay, with multiple, detailed images to attract interested buyers. A 7 day auction starting at $9.99 and letting the auction go to a normal end is the only way to get the current market value of the item. If only one buyer is interested, the selling price will be disappointingly low. If more than one interested buyer, no one knows what the selling price will be until the auction ends.

These are uncommon so the only way to find its current market value is by way of an eBay auction. If you got it for free, you may make some or a lot of money off of it.

Others may be able to offer their opinions.

Here is an archived site page from an eBay listing that has expired, does not exist on eBay, date of listing is not known and not known if the item sold (and it was listed with its proprietary keyboard).

loblolly986

My suggestion would be to post a thread about it on the Vintage Computer Federation Forums and see if anyone over there has anything to add. This is more in those folks' wheelhouse than that of the telephone collectors here. Safely shipping CRTs can be tricky, with even the terminal showcased in the previously-linked post over there being an example of how easily they can break, but they'd be the ones to turn to for advice on that. They also have a For Sale or Trade forum where you might be able to sell it if any of the members are interested, though don't be surprised if you end up just having to sell it on eBay for whatever someone's willing to pay as TelePlay describes.