News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trav-ler Leather Covered Radio 5028

Started by Doug Rose, May 03, 2015, 10:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Found this at a yard sale this morning. Didn't dare plug it in with tubes. Larry, is this anything of value?...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Wow, only 2 "D" cells to run a 5 tube radio as a portable, but for how long.

Does it work with batteries?

Ooops! My error. Also requires a "B" 67.5 VDC battery supply, the "A" battery is 3 VDC. Wonder where the larger battery fits into the cabinet?

Doug Rose

John...I didn't dare plug it in. If this was something desirable, I didn't want to ruin it.....Doug
Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

TelePlay

Looks like it was modified at some time - the 117Z3 tube is missing and crossed out on the schematic within the radio.

Doug, what does the serial number place on the bottom right of the radio, from the back, say about the manufacturer?

LarryInMichigan

I doubt that it is worth much, but it is worth something.  I do not have any portables, and I know little about them.  In general though, it is highly advisable to refrain from powering up a radio of unknown electrical condition.  Components may be bad and/or someone may have messed up something.  It is not so unusual to find a radio with the tubes in the wrong sockets and also with capacitors, resistors, or other things connected to the wrong places.  The last radio I bought online came with somewhat dangerously soldered power cord connections inside.

Larry