News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Parts Scalpers.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 23, 2010, 02:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

It's a big issue in the trains I collect, and a huge issue in the world of watches. It's extremely common to see the movement, dial, hands, and case of a watch all sold separately, especially with popular railroad watches like Hamilton 992s and Illinois Bunn Specials.

The best solution is to just not buy from the sellers who are known to be guilty of parting out.

Ultimately, though, the only true solution is for collectors to quit trying to "upgrade" sets in their collection. If collectors would quit switching and swapping parts to try make the sets they have better, there would be no market for parts from broken up sets.

savageje

Quote from: benhutcherson on April 26, 2010, 12:37:21 PM
Ultimately, though, the only true solution is for collectors to quit trying to "upgrade" sets in their collection. If collectors would quit switching and swapping parts to try make the sets they have better, there would be no market for parts from broken up sets.
Ben:  That's an interesting point, and a good one.  I've been pretty torn about the fact that I have a number of AE80s that have frequency ringers in them, and I've been tempted to change them out for SL ringers.  I wonder what folks think about that.  The collector side of me wants to keep the phones original, but on the other hand I would like all of my phones to ring.  I suppose I could be contributing to the problem by trying to switch them out.   :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: savageje on April 26, 2010, 10:18:27 PM
Quote from: benhutcherson on April 26, 2010, 12:37:21 PM
Ben:  That's an interesting point, and a good one.  I've been pretty torn about the fact that I have a number of AE80s that have frequency ringers in them, and I've been tempted to change them out for SL ringers.  I wonder what folks think about that.  The collector side of me wants to keep the phones original, but on the other hand I would like all of my phones to ring.  I suppose I could be contributing to the problem by trying to switch them out.   :)
Switch out the parts, but save the old parts and tag them for the phone.
That is how I handle this dilemma.

Many/most after market parts come from "junker" phones. The scrappers charge to much, they price themselves out of the market.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.