"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Christmas request to help with a new phone project

Started by callME, December 11, 2010, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callME

Greetings from Maine!

My husband brought home this phone about two years ago--I can't remember if it was a freebie from the swap shop at our local "dump" or he actually paid a few dollars for it at a yard sale but knowing him it wasn't much.  He has a penchant for anything with real "works" particularly bells.  I made the mistake early in our marriage of buying him a really nice clock than ran off batteries but made up for it a few years ago with a hand crank doorbell from the 1860's--the same era as our house. He's got a couple of old typewriters stashed around the house.  This is his first telephone (other than a relatively "recent" rotary phone that he brought home to show the kids a few years ago--they were totally stumped.) SO,  I had the bright idea of trying to find the "right" paint for this project, thinking it would make a good stocking stuffer. I've really enjoyed exploring this site and have learned much more than I set out to, except about where and what to use on this type of phone.  I'm guessing as veteran tinkerers you all already know where to find what you need.  Recommendations and sources for supplies would be appreciated.  Also, is this likely an original color for this model? (It's a Western Electric--not sure of the model number.)

I'm sure he'd be happy to hear any other comments the "experts" might have to share about his new acquisition.  The phone does work and he did play around with it when it first arrived, researching it long enough to find out that this extension model was never supposed to ring.  Just realized...this phone must have no bell...uh-oh, maybe I won't give him the web site address!

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks, in advance. 

(Can't figure out how to add a second picture that better shows the wear.  I'll post it separately.)

callME

Second picture, which makes it a bit more obvious why she needs a touchup. 

bingster

Hello, and welcome to the forum!  Your particular phone probably started out as a black phone, and was put together in it's current form by a collector or tinkerer.  The base and handset are Bell System, while the dial was made by another company, Automatic Electric, and wouldn't have been found on this phone.  The cords appear to be ivory line cords, rather than proper cords, too.  That being said, this model was available in this color for a time in the 1950s.  Since this is a fairly common phone, there's nothing wrong with repainting the ivory. I think with a bit of paint, you'll wind up with a very nice looking phone.

I redid a base just like this in ivory, myself, and you can read about my adventures (and misadventures), and hopefully pick up a few tips, here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=221.30

The base came out great, but I haven't had the same luck with the handset.  But if you're handy at painting, you may be able to make a better job of it than I did.

Incidentally, this isn't a non-ringing extension.  The internet (and ebay) is full of that particular piece of misinformation.  The phone was intended to always be mated to a subset, or as it's often referred to, a "bell box" or "ringer box."  The subset, though, doesn't contain just the phone's ringer, it also contains critical electronic components which deliver the proper types of electrical current to the various parts of the phone.  Here's a photo of a typical subset, which would have been mounted to the wall just above the baseboard, and to which the phone's cord would be connected:
= DARRIN =

callME

Thanks, Bingster.  I've taken a quick look at your "adventure" and it looks like it's full of helpful information, especially for beginners.  You end result is beautiful.  I'm sure it would be best if we stripped paint first but I'm not sure we are that dedicated...at least for the first project. 

Also, all the other information about the phone is definately helpful.  The base is marked D1 but the handset does say Western Electric.  The paint info was just what I needed and a can of Valsapr shoot fit nicely in his stocking along with a print of your project!

As for the ringer base, are they dificult to find?  Maybe for another Christmas....

Thanks again for your response. 

bingster

No, the subsets are plentiful.  They can be found in several places on the internet, but the most inexpensive ones will be found on ebay, where they sell for an average of $45 or so.  If you do decide to get one, they have model numbers marked on the backs, and the models to look out for are 634, 684 and 685.  Any one of those will work well for this phone.  

Good luck with you project!
= DARRIN =